Custom music (beyond Custom 1 & 2)

waymu

Many of the .dat files are just wave files. By replacing the extension to .wav you can hear what songs they are. Replacing any of these will replace the music you hear in-game. You can even replace the in-game sounds (coaster speed, peeps, sound effects, interface user feedback sounds, etc.) which are saved in a special way. This following page explains how css1.dat works and how it contains all the sounds in the game: http://freerct.github.io/RCTTechDepot-Archive/css1dat.html It's quite interesting to know how it works.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2016 at 06:18, Broxzier said:

Many of the .dat files are just wave files. By replacing the extension to .wav you can hear what songs they are. Replacing any of these will replace the music you hear in-game. You can even replace the in-game sounds (coaster speed, peeps, sound effects, interface user feedback sounds, etc.) which are saved in a special way. This following page explains how css1.dat works and how it contains all the sounds in the game: http://freerct.github.io/RCTTechDepot-Archive/css1dat.html It's quite interesting to know how it works.

I've always wondered how I could replace the sound effects for fun. Maybe there's a way to extract css1 and then pack it all back in afterwards?

I've used some program in the past to unpack all the sound effects in RCT3. Problem is, I had no idea how to get them back into one file.

Edited by waymu
  • 1 month later...

I did this and it only played the first few seconds of the track I inserted and then started again.

EDIT - I replaced CSS3.dat (Dodgems Beat Style) with a new music file and this is what happened.

Does this perhaps have anything to do with the fact that those are 8-bit?

Edited by Xeltron245

Trigger's Toolkit has some audio tools, including translating every sound file in the game to a .mp3, and replacing audio files with those you would like to. Trigger is actually the one who created the ORCT2 steam stub, he also has a few other tools like a content gallery for viewing assets and a maze generator.

• Like 1

Some .dat files are straight forward .wav files. The media player simple opens the file, checks the first 4 bytes to see it's a RIFF format, then it reads the header, sees that it's a wave file, and uses the data in the header to load the sound from the rest of the file. Most media players should be able to handle this, an extension alone means nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Just now, TCE said:

Which doesn't seem like will ever happen unfortunately :(

Wait, what makes you think that? It's been stated many times by the developers that this is planned for the future.

I'm not actually sure if you need a new save format to increase the number of custom music slots - in fact, I'm pretty sure you don't, since those music files don't go in savegames, and I'm not seeing anything in a quick search of the code that would suggest otherwise. But if you wanted to make it so they did go in savegames, then that would need a new save format.

Edited by X7123M3-256