We need a ban button. Many trollers and hackers can get through easily causing huge amounts of drama and destruction. Ban buttons are necessary so trollers and hackers can be stopped. Such as earl and satosh. We can't deal with them in a way that we can get rid of them permanently. Ban buttons are on every multiplayer game. Why can't this game have it? It's only a few more coding lines. I know the devs are trying to fix many bugs, but please. We need a Ban Button. People have already messaged the devs before. They gave out a bad excuse. I am not accepting an excuse.  I, and many other people want action taken on them. We haven't had a ban button even since this was released. Ban buttons are important to any multiplayer game. Unacceptable for players who just build computer tracks into coasters. We can't even do that. We need a ban button for this game. Don't make another excuse. We all want A Ban Button.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

Absolutely, we shouldn't rely on discord or some external program just to be able to play the game. When a newbie hops on openrct2 for the first time they don't want to jump a random server and instantly be bombarded with typing in a discord link and joining just for a server they may not even like. And for them and our hosts sake, they certainly don't want to see some idiot spamming a thousand times in chat. then of course the mods have to put the whole server in lockdown, blocking outside guests till it's cooled down.

Take Skylander Katfish for example, he hasn't been able to have discord until very recently for certain reasons, and in my experience, he has been the most trolled server in the whole community. You may say "well, he'd just have to suck it up and get trolled or make a sign up program," but he shouldn't have to. In this game people with enough rights to even build a coaster or edit landscape can ruin alotta peoples parks very quickly, even more than a Minecraft world or rust, and even those games have the standard ban button, whether it be a plugin or not.

• Like 3

Back when we introduced it, the idea of the multiplayer security model was that people would be put into a spectator group on login and granted permissions by their public key (which prevents people from simply logging in using someone else's username). Doing this means that troll/hackers might still be able to login, but can't do anything more than watch (unless you put a password on the server as well). IP banning was discussed, but decided against because it's not difficult to circumvent, and because IPv4 addresses nowadays are increasingly shared with multiple people (because of address depletion).

10 hours ago, Gymnasiast said:

Back when we introduced it, the idea of the multiplayer security model was that people would be put into a spectator group on login and granted permissions by their public key (which prevents people from simply logging in using someone else's username). Doing this means that troll/hackers might still be able to login, but can't do anything more than watch (unless you put a password on the server as well). IP banning was discussed, but decided against because it's not difficult to circumvent, and because IPv4 addresses nowadays are increasingly shared with multiple people (because of address depletion).

What do you think the chances are that someone shares an IP that plays on a server that someone else in the same IP has banned in? VERY LOW.

It's far more beneficial to just have a ban button than it is to prevent someone from being banned for sharing an IP address. 

And circumvent? Yes people could use VPN servers but eventually they run out of options and would have to pay even more for alternatives. It would be very costly to be banned that much, and doubt anyone would go for it.

The simplicity of just banning someone who constantly trolls a community is what we would expect as a server host in most games, and when it's as easy as it is to implement into this one there really is no true excuse for not having one.

Lastly, what is to stop a troll when they know nothing is stopping them from coming right back and using deception of another name to gain trust and repeat the same process? 

We shouldn't have to use tools like Wireshark and Firewall tools to manually ban people and frankly it's ridiculous that we do.

Edited by dsoul
  • Like 2

Totally think there should be a ban button. Too many people are having to go out of their way just to ban certain trolls that don't give up. Take GTW, for example. If he wants to permanantly ban someone, he has to do a whole bunch of B.S. with external programs like Wireshark. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but he's told me how much of a pain in the ass it is. Just to ban someone forever.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dsoul said:

What do you think the chances are that someone shares an IP that plays on a server that someone else in the same IP has banned in? VERY LOW.

It's far more beneficial to just have a ban button than it is to prevent someone from being banned for sharing an IP address. 

And circumvent? Yes people could use VPN servers but eventually they run out of options and would have to pay even more for alternatives. It would be very costly to be banned that much, and doubt anyone would go for it.

The simplicity of just banning someone who constantly trolls a community is what we would expect as a server host in most games, and when it's as easy as it is to implement into this one there really is no true excuse for not having one.

Lastly, what is to stop a troll when they know nothing is stopping them from coming right back and using deception of another name to gain trust and repeat the same process? 

We shouldn't have to use tools like Wireshark and Firewall tools to manually ban people and frankly it's ridiculous that we do.

@dsoul, just saying. Gymnasiast kinda already stated that you shouldn’t be rude to him and you still do it. Personally, I think the devolpers should be open minded and just take these demands as suggestions. But this is his site and you follow his rules so be aware of that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dsoul said:

And circumvent? Yes people could use VPN servers but eventually they run out of options and would have to pay even more for alternatives. It would be very costly to be banned that much, and doubt anyone would go for it. (1)

The simplicity of just banning someone who constantly trolls a community is what we would expect as a server host in most games, and when it's as easy as it is to implement into this one there really is no true excuse for not having one. (2)

1) TOR is free and easy to set up.
2) If it's so simple, why don't you implement it yourself and open a pull request? It's an open source project.

Really, I don't know why you think you can boss us around so much. We put our spare time into this game and give it to you for free, and we expect nothing in return. But apparently you still think we owe you.

11 hours ago, Sapota127 said:

Personally, I think the devolpers should be open minded and just take these demands as suggestions.

That's fine. I don't mind disagreement or asking for a feature we decided against earlier.
It's the entitled attitude of some people I can't stand (or comprehend).

I'm all for a ban button, but like it's been proven, VPNs and dynamic IPs change all the time so it does defeat the purpose. Every game has its issues (hacks, trolls, etc) and there is no for sure way to get rid of it. For some of the newer people on this discussion, this battle has been fought before. Like @Gymnasiast has said, open a pull request or suggestion on Git. Im sure the dev's are always looking for more ways to improve the game. I've seen dozens of issues get fixed there. But by demanding, that's just inhumane, and doesnt get any progress done. Theres no guarantees, but like most of us, this is a side hobby and is not a full time job so everything cant get fixed when we want it. 

@Sheepsnoop he was referring to the entire thread. I'd feel attacked if someone came at me with that type of request that has already been talked about a number of times the past few years.

On 15/03/2019 at 15:14, Gymnasiast said:

The entitled attitude of some people I can't stand (or comprehend).

The world is infested with those types of people. You will see people like that all the time. Fortunately enough for you, you're the boss of these forums so you can throw the hammer as you wish. In other cases, you just have to deal with it, you know what I mean?

On 23/03/2019 at 09:21, Sapota127 said:

The world is infested with those types of people. You will see people like that all the time. Fortunately enough for you, you're the boss of these forums so you can throw the hammer as you wish. In other cases, you just have to deal with it, you know what I mean?

I'm not the boss of these forums, nor a moderator.

On 19/03/2019 at 06:55, Lolwe said:

@Gymnasiast Also how do you do a pull request 

You fork the project on Github, do your changes, then a button will be visible in the Github web interface. But of course, you'll have to know how to code to do so.

Anyway, there was once talk about a central authentication server. When word of that came out, someone came to our chat channel and started a not very pleasant conversation about how we shouldn't (let's say he started becoming angrier and angrier and used unparliamentary language). After that, nothing happened, as we had a load of other stuff to do.

I cannot promise anything, but we _might_ revisit this once we finished doing work to reduce the number of desyncs. A lot of work has gone into it already, which has hopefully made a noticeable difference already, but more is to come.

Edited by Gymnasiast
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...