Howto: installing custom content

Since this question seems to be asked often, I figured I'd copy a small tutorial I wrote earlier.

In the title screen of OpenRCT2, click on the red toolbox. A menu will drop down. Click the last option in the menu, labelled 'Open custom content folder':

E4w3eUB.png

The file manager will now open the custom content folder of OpenRCT2. This contains several precreated folders:

La2ZiRU.png

An overview of what each folder is used for:

• heightmap: When trying to load heightmaps in the Scenario Editor, this folder is looked in first.
  • landscape: When working on scenarios in the Scenario Editor, unfinished ones are saved here.
  • object: This is the folder where you can put your custom objects (.DAT, .POB or .PARKOBJ). If you load a saved game from someone else with custom objects in it, OpenRCT2 will extract them here as well.
  • save: Saved games are put here.
  • scenario: Custom scenarios are put here.
  • screenshot: If you create a screenshot, it will be saved here.
  • themes: If you create a custom theme, it will be saved here.
  • track: Your custom track designs are saved here.
  • Informative 1
  • 2 months later...

As a newcomer to OpenRCT2 and to the forum, thanks for this. I have to say that I'm running into an issue. I've downloaded two sets of custom supports from New Element (.DAT files) and copied them into the object folder.  When I go to select that object pack in the object selection screen, I always get the "too many objects" warning and then none of them show up in my scenery. I feel like I'm missing a step... Thanks!

19 hours ago, jensj12 said:

You probably have too many objects enabled (note there's a separate count for scenery groups and scenery objects, the latter is not visible when selecting scenery groups). Try to deselect some other scenery groups first.

Thanks for the response! I uncheck just about every box I can under groups and the “advanced” tab and the message still pops up even if the supports are the only group checked. Also, even though the group name shows up under the scenery groups list, the individual objects don’t appear in the other scenery tabs. Should they? 

I’ve tried with two different support downloads. 

• 7 months later...
On 06/04/2019 at 06:10, tmills823 said:

As a newcomer to OpenRCT2 and to the forum, thanks for this. I have to say that I'm running into an issue. I've downloaded two sets of custom supports from New Element (.DAT files) and copied them into the object folder.  When I go to select that object pack in the object selection screen, I always get the "too many objects" warning and then none of them show up in my scenery. I feel like I'm missing a step... Thanks!

Do they appear in the small scenery list if you click 'advanced'?, you can select the object group then which objects from it you want in the small/large scenery tabs, this can allow you to trim down overlarge scenery groups to just what you need for the scenario you're designing. You can toggle selected/unselected/both to see if for any reason they're there but not selected. It's possible if the too many items is an erroneous report it didn't actually select the items.

There does seem to be a thing where it says you've picked too many items when picking scenery groups even when this shouldn't be the case- you can sometimes just ignore it and follow the guides of maximum small/large scenery items. It's worth noting your selections and saving a test scenario to see if they're there in-game (remember they won't be if you need to 'invent' the scenery group through research)

The numbers may not be totally accurate though- you may max out earlier than some of the max item numbers suggest- I wonder if animated/large scenery etc may use up more slots but it still lets you pick other objects there's then not space for, items do sometimes fail to appear in-game which is why it's worth checking. Having too many items not in a selected scenery group can also cause them to be unavailable in-game- I think the ? tab for items not in a selected scenery group has its own limit.

The last thing to check may be if you need to have the scenery group object and the individual scenery objects- there are some odd quirks with scenery groups, have had some problems with them myself in ORCT.