Dev Activity and Content Additions

Hi! I've been playing RCT2 since i was a little kid, and I found ORCT2 just a few months ago(wish I had found it sooner). Now, most fan projects take off for a little while and then quickly die out. I'm curious how active the devs are in this game, as far as updates, new content, hacks, etc. I'm also curious how much actual new content, if any, is planned to be added. Will there ever be new objects, scenery, track pieces, guest age options, new management abilities, new rides, etc. added to the game? I'm not trying to sound greedy or anything, I'm just honestly clueless, and I'm curious what the devs are interested/willing/capable of adding to the game. Are they able to add new content or just adjust existing content? After playing RCT3 and reading about some of the objects/features that didn't make it into RCT2, I'd be super excited to see a lot of those rides and features be added to this game. 

7 hours ago, LMx_847 said:

Will there ever be new objects, scenery, track pieces, guest age options, new management abilities, new rides, etc. added to the game?

The OpenRCT2 development team has not announced any plans to create custom objects themselves (at least not as far as I've heard). However, the wider community has created many custom objects, and has been doing so since long before OpenRCT2 was a thing. The OpenRCT2 developers don't need to do anything to support custom scenery/rides, since this functionality was part of the original game.

It is possible to add track pieces that already exist in the game to more track types - for example, OpenRCT2 adds additional inversion pieces to the vertical drop coaster, and steep slopes to junior coaster. I have experimented with adding track pieces to the already added a handful of track pieces - most notable is the LSM launch piece. I have experimented with the addition of new track pieces and entire new track types, but the difficulty is making it look good. So far, with the exception of the LSM booster piece, all the track pieces that have been added used sprites already existing in the game.

7 hours ago, LMx_847 said:

After playing RCT3 and reading about some of the objects/features that didn't make it into RCT2, I'd be super excited to see a lot of those rides and features be added to this game.  

Some RCT3 rides could easily be made in RCT2, just a matter of somebody doing it. Some cannot due to limitations of the game.

Edited by X7123M3-256