Does Open require the Original again?

I'm really sorry if this question has been repeated already but I looked through the forums and I'm pretty sure nobody has asked this yet;

I havent played Open in awhile and so when I came back there was an update. I tried playing without the update and it said I needed the original files. I downloaded the update and tried again and it still said the same thing. 

I looked through the update notes and it didnt say anything regarding this. I googled it and I found this: https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Required-RCT2-files

But it says "since 2016" and I'm pretty sure ive been playing it fine until a couple months ago.

Anyways Im not sure how and if I should get the RCT2 files or if its even a bug or not.

Could anyone help me out? :(

That means it doesn't run any code from the original executable anymore, which makes it a stand-alone tool. OpenRCT2 still needs the original assets of the game. If those are going to be replaced (which will take a ton of time considering you have to recreate all sprites, music tracks, scenarios, and other assets), then OpenRCT2 wouldn't need the original game files at all. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.