Go Karts make no sense

Sorry, but I firmly believe this. Just made a nice go kart layout in a park. Lots of cars to keep people moving, over and under paths, interacting with itself and another ride, a decent length, but not too long, even a small underground section. And I set it for 2 laps and test it, and it comes to around 4.75 excitement. Not bad.

Check it again a couple of minutes later, and decide to push it up to three laps to see if there might be a possibility of pushing the rating even higher. And it drops to about 2.30. So I drop it back down to 2 laps, and it goes down to 2.20. I change this, that, and the other, and the ratings remain in the toilet. Finally, I remove the small underground section, and set it back to two laps and test it, and it shoots back up to 4.77 excitement. Now I'm leaving the damn thing alone!

The code snippet taken out of context is confusing because it's not clear what "edx >> 8" means.

Looking at the preceding code (the relevant bit is: "edx = get_num_of_sheltered_eighths(ride)"), we can see this is how much of the track is covered, in eighths. i.e. if 6/8ths or more of the track is covered, the ride excitement is halved. So driving in a tunnel is only half as exciting as driving in the open.

Edited by zaxcav