Progression of my excitement record

LordMarcel96

In this thread, I'm posting all the screenshots of my excitement record that I can still find. It could be interesting to see the progression as I was getting better at it.

This is the oldest one I can find, which was last saved on the third of February 2017. I already knew that the Giga coaster was the best coaster and knew some basic things about decorations, like that scenery and nearby coasters increase the excitement. My stats aren't very good yet, as I haven't maxed out the length bonus and am way over the maximum value for lateral G's and number of drops that you get excitement for. Still over 12.5 excitement, so not too bad.

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-00-41.png

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-00-32.png

Only a week later, on April 1st, I built this coaster with 13.83 excitement. This was the first time I used boosters for the majority of the ride to keep the ride up to speed while getting more length. I also used boosters in the previous ride, but not nearly as much. I think in this entry mainly the path bonuses are better, although I still was just doing random things and hoping for an increase in excitement.

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-18-25.png

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-17-32.png

On April 6th, I finally broke the 14 excitement with 14.21. Around this time I started to expand my knowledge about stats and use that knowledge. This was the first coaster where I kept the lateral G's around 1.5, as that's the highest value that you still get excitement for. This was also the first time I noticed the air-time bonus, although I didn't realize it. I remember that adding extra drops gave more excitement, even though I was already over 9 drops (the maximum value that you get excitement for). Now I know this was because of the extra air-time, but back then I didn't know that yet. This was the last coaster that I built with the slow boosters on the Giga coaster. Shortly after this, the faster boosters for the Giga coaster were added to openrct2.

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-26-52.png

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-25-35.png

It took me a long time before I was able to beat my old record with the new boosters. I failed a bunch of times before I finally succeeded. On June 11th I created this coaster with 14.53 excitement. Because of the faster boosters, this coaster has a much higher average speed than the previous coasters, which partly led to the increase in excitement. I also kept the number of drops at 9 for the first time. This was when I really started a learn a lot about how stats work. This record would also stand for a long time before it was broken.

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-32-55.png

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-32-46.png

On August 8th, I finally broke my record, but only with 0.12 points. When building another coaster I learned that water directly below the track and water 1 unit below the track both gave a seperate bonus, so I simply applied that to the previous coaster, raising the excitement a little bit.

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-41-40.png

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-41-34.png

When I was trying to build a dinghy slide with over 10 excitement, I learned the power of air-time. I applied that to a giga coaster by having a bend in every drop to get more air-time. With this, I was finally able to break the barrier of 15 excitement on September 5th. This coaster has 15.18 excitement.

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-45-18.png

Challenger Deep 2018-01-29 09-45-06.png

I set the number of laps to 20 to see how high the nausea rating would get. When the test results got back I was completely shocked, my coaster had gotten an excitement rating of over 75! It also had an intensity rating of over 11, but not nearly as high as I expected it to be. This is because the game stops counting drops after 63. This was also when I discovered that the air-time bonus is applied after the penalties for excess intensity. I modified the coaster a bit to get the intensity under 10 and the result was a coaster with 92.07 excitement.

Test Park 2018-01-29 09-53-54.png

Test Park 2018-01-29 09-53-40.png

Three days later, on September 10th, I suddenly had the realization that spirals do not count as drops, which meant that there was a way to get air-time without getting drops. This means that I didn't spend all those intensity points on the 63 drops, so I could add other things at the end to get even more excitement. This led to the creation of the coaster that holds my current record. I originally planned to get the maximum value of air-time, 1964 seconds, in 2 laps, but I ran out of landscape data so I had to do it with three laps. This remains the greatest coaster I have ever built, and until there's a new save format and the limits are raised, I don't think that the record will be broken by a large margin. I ended up with a coaster with 96.10 excitement, just a few points away from the 100 excitement.

Test Park 2018-01-29 10-06-16.png

Test Park 2018-01-29 10-05-53.png

Test Park 2018-01-29 10-05-25.png

Test Park 2018-01-29 10-07-48.png

On November 1st I broke my record by a small margin when someone discovered that you get different bonuses for different types of path. The brown footpath in the screenshots are the only additions to the coaster, which raise the excitement to my current record: 96.59. Click here for a full-sized giant screenshot which was way too big to upload here. I wonder how long this record will stand.

Test Park 2018-01-29 10-10-58.png

Test Park 2018-01-29 10-10-49.png

Excitement records without using cheats. Also, I doubt that a coaster with stuff like 900 km/h launches would have more excitement, as most stats have a cap for the excitement you can get from them. So unless you can create a coaster that reaches like 1000 positive G's (one of the few stats without a cap) I doubt you can get over 96.

• 4 weeks later...

Added two underground sections and the element in the screenshot for another 0.32 excitement for a final result of 96.91. I realized my coaster didn't have any sloped turns, so I added a bunch of them with that element. After that, I wasn't at 9.99 intensity quite yet, so I added two extra underground sections and those added another 0.2 for some reason. Getting closer to 100, but I doubt I'll ever get there without a rise of the current limits.

Test Park 2018-02-25 22-38-05.png

Test Park 2018-02-25 22-33-02.png

On 1/29/2018 at 01:30, Deurklink said:

I'm gonna assume you mean excitement records while still keeping the rides rideable by peeps. Before people start posting their 60-inversion 900kmh launch monsters. 

!!!LEFT TUUUURN!!! i'm almost positive that these stats can be matched with much less. but E for effort.

Inching towards 100 excitement rating, now that is crazy. I still remember the first time I hit a very high excitement rating, it was with a wooden coaster on the Electric Fields scenario after I build a car ride through it, though I don't remember the exact rating. Then I build two dueling wooden mice, which were my first coasters to break the 8 mark, in Walibi Belgium (I named them after the two almost-countries that make up Belgium :D), the highest rating of the two was 8.21. Some years later (but not before 2013 as the coaster's namesake didn't exist until that date), I built a hyper-twister coaster in an incomplete mega park which reached an 8.69 excitement rating. My current record of 8.91 was achieved on the Group Park 7 with Project Forty-One, another hyper-twister, but recently I discovered giga coasters have ridiculously high excitement ratings even when small (A "giga" [sic] coaster I built on one of Deurklink's square parks had an excitement rating of 6.61 or something like that), so I'll give them a try even if they aren't capable of loopings.

A few days ago, I managed to break 100 in the intensity rating (though with the unlocked operation limits cheat on), as I noticed someone had built one coaster that was over that mark and replicated it.

On 2/26/2018 at 00:08, Deurklink said:

Nausea rating doesnt count?

All that counts here is the excitement rating. No guest will ride this ride because of the nausea rating, but the excitement is still high. I'm just curious what the maximum possible is and I'm getting closer and closer to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:48, LordMarcel96 said:

WOW. I am just... amazed. I think I've done a good job when I get an excitement rating over 8. Does the low intensity and nausea mean that peeps will actually ride it? Will they be willing to pay 300 of whatever the local currency is in order to ride it?

9 hours ago, TheMathsGod said:

WOW. I am just... amazed. I think I've done a good job when I get an excitement rating over 8. Does the low intensity and nausea mean that peeps will actually ride it? Will they be willing to pay 300 of whatever the local currency is in order to ride it?

Thanks! Guests will ride this coaster and would pay up to €464 for it if the game allowed you to charge more than €20. That said, because it only runs one train, is insanely big, and takes about 20 RCT years to complete, it's an utterly useless ride in the game, even with the high stats.