Some questions concerning OpenRCT2

This is the first time I'm looking a bit at an open project in an early stage like this one, and I have some questions, due to my newbiness :P So sorry if they sound really dumb ^^"

1) Can anyone post an update of the project ? Is it "safe" ?

2) What do you advice : download the launcher and let it full rights to download what it wants, or download manually each update ?

3) Concerning OpenRCT2, I must say that I'm really pleased to see this project, but I'm a bit "afraid" too : afraid of loss of spirit of RCT1&2. I'm not saying it's the case yet ;)  I'm simply wondering for the future : what's the spirit/goal behind ? Using RCT as a base for an open RCT game which would have it's own "rules"/balance and spirit ? (= becoming it's own game) Or will the project try to stay in the tracks of RCT1&2 with some limited evolutions ?

That's all :)

11 minutes ago, Xardoz said:

Can anyone post an update of the project ?

You can fork the game and make whatever changes you like - for example, I have a fork that adds a new track type to the game.  If you want your changes included in develop, you can submit a pull request.

15 minutes ago, Xardoz said:

2) What do you advice : download the launcher and let it full rights to download what it wants, or download manually each update ?

I would recommend the launcher. Updates are very frequent so manually downloading the binary would be tedious. Nothing wrong with doing that though.

17 minutes ago, Xardoz said:

Concerning OpenRCT2, I must say that I'm really pleased to see this project, but I'm a bit "afraid" too : afraid of loss of spirit of RCT1&2. I'm not saying it's the case yet ;)  I'm simply wondering for the future : what's the spirit/goal behind ?

OpenTTD is a similar but more mature project, so you can look there to see what might be possible. OpenRCT2 will always be compatible with parks made for vanilla RCT2 and there will always be the option to use vanilla assets.

• Like 1

1. It is safe as far as I know. If you don't trust it, check it with an antivirus every time you update :)

2. I use the launcher. This automatically downloads the latest version for me (usually several times per day). You could also just download a stable version but you won't always have the newest features. There are sometimes bugs in the newest versions, however.

3. Don't worry, the game still has the feel of RCT2, it just has a lot more convenient tools and improvements to let us build what we imagine :D

• Like 1

Thanks both of you for answering :)

1) I'm mostly thinking it's safe (& I have Kaspersky which I trust), it's simply that I've not a precise idea of how this works in the facts :P I was wondering if someone was supervising, or if it was only few "authorized" people who could contribute, or anybody.

For forking the project myself... Ahah, I don't think I have the skills for that :P But if I've one suggestion, I'll share it :)

2) Launcher sounds nice so :)

3) I know well OpenTTD, and that's why I was asking : I never played the original TTD, and loved OpenTTD, but was always wondering how close to the original game it still is. This kind of project can easily loose "its roots", and I love RCT spirit & gameplay. And even if it'll always be compatible with RCT2, the game design/balance may be different and so vanilla game may be "broken" in a way (a scenario is a bit of a puzzle with constraints). That's the hard balance between improving the game with the open version and staying close to the original.

I really love RCT1 and even if I love RCT2, I don't love it as much as 1. But I must say that after trying OpenRCT2, there are good chances I'll love RCT2 a lot more through it :) So as long as the game has his original feel and can use vanilla assets, that's really great :D I'm rediscovering RCT2 thanks to OpenRCT2, and this is really awesome :)

Ok, I'm reviving this topic (and will certainly do again if I have some other "dumb" questions :))...

I always played only scenarios in all the RollerCoaster Tycoon games. And OpenRCT2 makes me wonder... "how" are you playing OpenRCT2 ?

I see the thread "Group Park 7" for example [which seems impressive] :

: what is the map used ? A user created the map ? Is there a sandbox mode ? I saw that there is a random map generator, that sounds awesome !!

Are there any tips/things to know/advices you would like to give concerning it, concerning game possibilities in OpenRCT2 ?

Edited by Xardoz
57 minutes ago, Xardoz said:

I see the thread "Group Park 7" for example [which seems impressive] :

: what is the map used ? A user created the map ? Is there a sandbox mode ? I saw that there is a random map generator, that sounds awesome !!

Someone created a heightmap for Group Park 7. It's basically just an image, where the color tells the map generator how high every tile is. After that the map was painted with different colors of sand and rock, and trees were added.

After that we just keep adding cool stuff and trying to impress one another until the park is full. :P

Edited by Deurklink
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Deurklink said:

Someone created a heightmap for Group Park 7. It's basically just an image, where the color tells the map generator how high every tile is. After that the map was painted with different colors of sand and rock, and trees were added.

After that we just keep adding cool stuff and trying to impress one another until the park is full. :P

Oh ok :) So it's a custom map... I never created one in RCT :P  Is there a place where there are interesting ones/good scenarios ?

2 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Yes, it's accessible from the cheat menu. It allows you to edit the map size, land ownership, and other things.

Thanks, that's the other part of the info I was missing ;) I just took a look : you can unlock all researches of the level too, "forget" about money, etc... very interesting !

1 hour ago, cparkes92 said:

I have OpenRCT2 already downloaded (an older version). Do I just download the launcher or do I have to delete my current downloaded version first?

The launcher should always (automagically) download the newest version for you.

Edited by Deurklink
19 hours ago, cparkes92 said:

I have OpenRCT2 already downloaded (an older version). Do I just download the launcher or do I have to delete my current downloaded version first?

18 hours ago, Deurklink said:

The launcher should always (automagically) download the newest version for you.

To clarify as much as I can (in case it could help) : if you download the launcher and use it, you don't need to download/install manually other files, so you can delete your current downloaded version of OpenRCT2.

When you'll launch the launcher, it'll look if the gamefiles are installed and up to date, if not, it will download & install automatically the latest version and let you launch it when it's done.

Edited by Xardoz
  • Like 1