On 20/12/2017 at 05:20, Deurklink said:

OK HERE ARE THE STEPS:

1. Open google

2. Type 'how to start openrct2 server'

3. Find following links: 

https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Multiplayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWub0bRnOGQ

4. You're welcome

YouTube video is gonzo and the github page is hard to follow. Do you type that into Windows Command prompt or OpenRCT2 console. I've tried both and I'm not getting any progress. I've done quite a bit of researching and I'm just not having much luck. Right now I'm trying to look at things like "Port-Forwarding", "Hamachi", and "Tunngle" but could really use some help. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

@LordAstino0775 The video seems to be gone now, though I expect it was visible there. You can host from command line, but you can do so from the multiplayer menu more easily (the "start server" button). For doing that, you will need to have a non-headless server though, but if you keep the camera in a corner and minimize the screen, it should not take up a lot of your CPU anyway.

Edited by Broxzier
typo

Hey,

As my first post I got pretty much the same problem.I wasn't able to host a server on ubuntu even after trying everything i found on google & the forum.

Currently it's pretty much impossible for me as linux newbie to host a server on the current avaiable "tutorials".

Could we please get an 'idiotproof' STEP BY STEP Tutorial on how to setup and host a server on linux(Ubuntu) by anyone?

Thanks in advance!

On 07/08/2018 at 06:08, Broxzier said:

@LordAstino0775 The video seems to be gone now, though I expect it was visible there. The can host from command line, but you can do so from the multiplayer menu more easily (the "start server" button). For doing that, you will need to have a non-headless server though, but if you keep the camera in a corner and minimize the screen, it should not take up a lot of your CPU anyway.

Hmm. Maybe there are some server-related terms I'm not understanding here, but what do you mean by "camera"? Currently I'm looking at what some people have done using "LogMeIn Hamachi" and I think I'm getting somewhere.... I will have more time in the coming months to really crack down on all this, and I really hope I can get somewhere with it.

I appreciate your response.

@LordAstino0775 Here are some of the technical terms explained better:

• headless - launching the game without a window, so it doesn't have to load the game's graphics, meaning the original game is not required to run.
  • camera - basically the main viewport of the game (the area that gets drawn to your screen). Moving this to the corner of the map reduces the amount of work OpenRCT2 needs to do to drawn the screen, making it easier for the server.
  • CPU - processor of the computer
  • Like 1