CCC4! Combined Coaster Challenge!

Combined? What is combined? It means merging mania!

The goal: Build a combined coaster within the given set of rules. Coaster must have some form of merge with different track types.

Basic rules:

I may copy from jens12's, but there's some difference so read carefully!
The coaster may not use more than 320 tiles. This is calculated by multiplying the numbers shown on the select coaster design screen (a rectangle without including entrance/exit). Valid options are 1x320, 2x160, 3x106, 4x80, 5x64, 6x53, 7x45, 8x40, 9x35, 10x32, 11x29, 12x26, 13x24, 14x22, 15x21, 16x20, 17x18.
It must be possible to build a valid path (without cheats) from the entrance and the exit (entrance and exit may be rotated).
The coaster type and all scenery must be available in RCT2 + WW/TT.

Contest specific rules:

• May contain inversions or not.
  • Any ride mode but rideable and surviveable.
  • At least 4 different types of tracks to be used (including the base),
  • Scenery is optional, but using it can give you some bonus.
  • Ride must be above ground completely.
  • Any ingame tool can be used.

Judging:

After the end of submission deadline, the submitted coasters are open for voting. 1 vote means 1 point. Bonus will be applied 1 point per 10 different tracks used, though it depends on the quality of the merging.

Participating:

Build your ride in any flat landscape, then post a screenshot of it and the save file that contains the ride. You may submit another ride with a limit of 1 per week. However voting will be based on per coaster instead of per user. But to maintain parity, maximum entry per user is 4.

Timeline:
Managed by jens12 from now.

Previous CCC's:

1. Compact Coaster Contest
  2. Christmas Coaster Contest
  3. 3. Complex Coaster Contest

Spread the word and may the best coaster win!

Edited by giraty
  • Like 2

@giraty It looks quite good but for people who are not familiar with combined coasters, have some further explaining to what that means and/or give examples. Also:

20 minutes ago, giraty said:

At least 4 different types of tracks to be used (including the base),

That seems a bit much for the space you can use, if you have 2 medium turns that is already 6 tiles in width. Are you sure you meant 'at least 4 different types of track'?

Because this is the space you have to work with (I used a coaster earlier featured in the group park, but slightly adjusted it):

5a2e7f1633917_SixFlags2017-12-1113-48-41.thumb.png.e1a85e584565d36d396d409d3c3d127e.png

(the path isn't included in the space) (It's 16x10)

• Like 1

I'd also like the area to be bigger, this is not a compact coaster contest again. On top of it, merges take some additional space as well, making it even more difficult. Doubling the space to 320 tiles might be better.

cGjgaj5.png

Sizes are: 2x160, 3x106, 4x80, 5x64, 6x53, 7x45, 8x40, 9x35, 10x32, 11x29, 12x26, 13x24, 14x22, 15x21, 16x20, 17x18

Edited by Broxzier
Fix sizes
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, here's my (first) submission:

5a3b9e2e028ec_Doabarrelroll.thumb.png.6874f5be84375e6dfbbc1aa34405b2cd.png

5a3ba2b965a5d_Doabarrelroll2.thumb.png.5014615bb66cd5b4c49712a799518d62.png

Used track types:

- Steel twister coaster

- Vertical drop roller coaster (for the holding brake)

- Heartline twister coaster

- Wooden roller coaster (I also tried the water coaster but sadly it didnt slow down the cars at all)

There is some hidden track so i could make a complete circuit but it is all within the alotted area (13 x 24)

Merge.sv6

On 12/11/2017 at 13:15, Broxzier said:

On top of it, merges take some additional space as well

They generally don't. There's a few edge cases where they would, but there are ways around that too.

41 minutes ago, Deurklink said:

I also tried the water coaster but sadly it didnt slow down the cars at all

There's a flag that has to be set on the vehicle to make that happen. I don't know if you can override the value with a cheat or whether you would need a custom train.

• Like 1

If no landscaping, path, or scenery is added what are the parameters for the entries to be judged on? Aesthetics? Stats? # of merges?

What counts as a new track type? For instance are Compact Inverted Coaster, Inverted Shuttle Coaster, and Inverted Vertical Shuttle all different ride types? What about the different variations of the B&M sit-down, hyper, floorless, and stand-up tracks? Or only if you use an element unique to that ride type (i.e. vertical drop coaster's vertical lift vs. B&M sit-down). Can the other track used be aesthetic only (as in reverse-merging a heartline coaster to make a lift cage)? If you start the ride on a track type that has had a different train hacked onto it (i.e. B&M track but has had LIM trains selected via unlocking train types), does that count as one merge (since it could equally be accomplished by splicing an LIM station onto a B&M layout)?

Does scenery have to lie within the bounds we are submitting? Can, for instance, supports extend out of the zone as long as the track is wholly inside?

Edited by Ling
9 hours ago, Ling said:

If no landscaping, path, or scenery is added what are the parameters for the entries to be judged on? Aesthetics? Stats? # of merges?

It's a popularity vote. Everyone on the forum can submit a vote for the coaster they like best. You can get a bonus vote by meeting the requirements specified in the first post.

9 hours ago, Ling said:

What counts as a new track type? For instance are Compact Inverted Coaster, Inverted Shuttle Coaster, and Inverted Vertical Shuttle all different ride types? What about the different variations of the B&M sit-down, hyper, floorless, and stand-up tracks? Or only if you use an element unique to that ride type (i.e. vertical drop coaster's vertical lift vs. B&M sit-down).

I didn't make the rules, but i think merging should only be done to get unique elements (like the holding brake from the vertical drop roller coaster or the steep lift hill).

9 hours ago, Ling said:

If you start the ride on a track type that has had a different train hacked onto it (i.e. B&M track but has had LIM trains selected via unlocking train types), does that count as one merge (since it could equally be accomplished by splicing an LIM station onto a B&M layout)?

I think you should really splice the station if you want to call it a merge. :D

9 hours ago, Ling said:

Does scenery have to lie within the bounds we are submitting? Can, for instance, supports extend out of the zone as long as the track is wholly inside?

"The coaster may not use more than 320 tiles. This is calculated by multiplying the numbers shown on the select coaster design screen (a rectangle without including entrance/exit)". Scenery changes these numbers as far as I know so it should be wholly inside.

Edited by Deurklink
typo
On 12/21/2017 at 21:57, Deurklink said:

I didn't make the rules, but i think merging should only be done to get unique elements (like the holding brake from the vertical drop roller coaster or the steep lift hill).

This makes it virtually impossible to reach (or pass) four different mutually exclusive track types. You get steel twister (all of them) for any large elements or inversions, will mouse for tight turns, wooden for a water splash, vertical drop coaster for vertical lift (even though it can be accomplished again with steel twister using cheats, so that's not really an extra track then by these rules). Any other element can be accomplished with elements from those track types and therefore no other tracks would "count".

2 hours ago, giraty said:

About unique elements, that's not actually in the rules but people should notice it quickly about the merging part so it's easier.

This does not make any sense to me. Could you try rephrasing or explaining again?

28 minutes ago, Ling said:

This makes it virtually impossible to reach (or pass) four different mutually exclusive track types. You get steel twister (all of them) for any large elements or inversions, will mouse for tight turns, wooden for a water splash, vertical drop coaster for vertical lift (even though it can be accomplished again with steel twister using cheats, so that's not really an extra track then by these rules). Any other element can be accomplished with elements from those track types and therefore no other tracks would "count".

What i meant here was that if you use a B&M track, like the steel twister coaster, and you want to merge with another B&M track(vertical drop roller coaster) you should only do it to get unique elements like the holding brake on your ride, and not just merge for the sake of merging (for example merging a steel twister with a floorless or standup twister makes no sense). Of course you can turn it halfway into a wooden roller coaster if you want. Go wild xD

1 hour ago, Deurklink said:

What i meant here was that if you use a B&M track, like the steel twister coaster, and you want to merge with another B&M track(vertical drop roller coaster) you should only do it to get unique elements like the holding brake on your ride, and not just merge for the sake of merging

In OpenRCT2 the twister track has every element that the vertical drop coaster has and vice-versa. You should never need to merge a twister track with vertical drop track unless you want compatibility with vanilla.

1 hour ago, Deurklink said:

for example merging a steel twister with a floorless or standup twister makes no sense

These are all the same ride type.

4 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

In OpenRCT2 the twister track has every element that the vertical drop coaster has and vice-versa. You should never need to merge a twister track with vertical drop track unless you want compatibility with vanilla.

Except level to steep track pieces, steep to level track pieces and holding brakes before drop. (unless you switch ride types midway through building, of course).

Edited by Deurklink
1 hour ago, X7123M3-256 said:

The twister track has all of those in OpenRCT2. In vanilla, it does not, so you used to have to merge.

Ok, but you have to switch ride type to vertical drop roller coaster midway through building to build those parts, right?

Edited by Deurklink

Yeah, generally you do, but you can then switch it back again after you've built it - you don't have to merge the two ride types together.

The latest version has a cheat that removes some of the track piece restrictions - I would test if it allows you to build those pieces, but I'm currently using an old version that doesn't have that cheat.

My first submission. Still really unclear on the rules or how any of this is being counted but hopefully this still qualifies. It's still not clear to me how much scenery should or should not exist on these entries so I went kinda light on it.

3SFFQq7.png

The used area is 16x20.

aF0OcRb.png

It's a compact inverted coaster, that uses a vertical lift from the Inverted Vertical Shuttle, all inversions from a B&M invert, and two reversing towers using Inverted Impulse Coaster track. They are linked with an S-bend from the Inverted Shuttle Coaster (not a unique element, obviously).

RylRVHI.png

The ride is fully custom supported.

Jg83CeY.png

The final brake run and final turn into the station are accomplished with a merge to a Suspended Swinging Coaster, to get from the height of the first brake run to the height of the station. Technically this is a unique piece.

9ivZvlL.png

Finally, here is an image displaying where each track is and what track and train types were used. This was done before the most recent version of the game which combined many ride types such as the vertical pieces from various SLC track types.

2yaBVAE.png

Depending on how you count this, it is either 4 (SLC+B&M+Intamin+Arrow), 5 (+Inverted Vertical Shuttle), or 6 (+Inverted Shuttle Coaster) unique tracks. The support work is not super clean because I'm really not used to doing designs in such tight spaces. Save file is here:

Download

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ling said:

My first submission. Still really unclear on the rules or how any of this is being counted but hopefully this still qualifies. It's still not clear to me how much scenery should or should not exist on these entries so I went kinda light on it.

The used area is 16x20.

It's a compact inverted coaster, that uses a vertical lift from the Inverted Vertical Shuttle, all inversions from a B&M invert, and two reversing towers using Inverted Impulse Coaster track. They are linked with an S-bend from the Inverted Shuttle Coaster (not a unique element, obviously).

The ride is fully custom supported.

The final brake run and final turn into the station are accomplished with a merge to a Suspended Swinging Coaster, to get from the height of the first brake run to the height of the station. Technically this is a unique piece.

Finally, here is an image displaying where each track is and what track and train types were used. This was done before the most recent version of the game which combined many ride types such as the vertical pieces from various SLC track types.

Depending on how you count this, it is either 4 (SLC+B&M+Intamin+Arrow), 5 (+Inverted Vertical Shuttle), or 6 (+Inverted Shuttle Coaster) unique tracks. The support work is not super clean because I'm really not used to doing designs in such tight spaces. Save file is here:

Download

Very nice and creative roller coaster! I especially like the part where it briefly reverses. Also, the scenery looks very good.

Edited by Deurklink