OpenRCT/RCT newbie questions

Hi All,

I am trying out OpenRCT for the first time (and only started playing RCT and RCT2 although i am old enough to have been in college when these we both released) and I have it working - but not quite as it should be.

1) I watched a couple of configuration videos for Open RCT and they both showed setting the path to and existing RCT2 installation in a stand alone set up launcher.  I downloaded the OpenRCT installer and installed it and I do not see this launcher.   Moreover, I do not see a place within Open RCT options to set a path for the existing installation of RCT2.  Are these videos out of date?  or am I missing something crucial?

2) I found a website that hosts a number of files for the various versions of RCT and I downloaded a number of rides with the .tr6 extension.

I copied these into the RCT2 location that also contained the .tr6 files installed with the games (GOG version) and yet these new rides do not show up in the ride editor, etc.  Yet if I run the Ride manager (I may not have the exact name correct for the program) and try to install these same rides that I copied and pasted, then it tells me there is already a ride installed with this name - yet it will not display the ride in the lists so I can select it.

I know the new rides won't show up in a scenario, unless they were included in the rides possible for the scenario - so this is not what I am talking about.  I am just trying to get them installed so I can look at them in the ride designer tool.

Any help with either of these two topics is most appreciated.

About the tracks, were you testing in OpenRCT2? Try placing the tracks in documents/OpenRCT2/track/ instead of the RCT2 installation folder. If that doesn't help, put them in a separate folder (remove them from your installation!) and try to install them from within the game.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

The launcher is a separate program - the main advantage to using it is that it will keep the game updated automatically. If you don't use the launcher, you can set the game path in the config file.

Not sure what's going on with your track files.

Can you please help me out here a bit more.  I just went through all of the options under the options tab in the upper right -hand corner in OpenRCT and there is no option for selecting the path to RCT2.  There is an option for selecting the path to RCT1.

Thanks for the help

3 hours ago, jensj12 said:

About the tracks, were you testing in OpenRCT2? Try placing the tracks in documents/OpenRCT2/track/ instead of the RCT2 installation folder. If that doesn't help, put them in a separate folder (remove them from your installation!) and try to install them from within the game.

Thank you.  I will try placing them in the other location and see if that helps.

I have tried copying the tr6 files to the location mentioned above.

If I try to add one of the rides, it says it cannot save the file, even if I give it a new name. 

It seems like it should be so very straight forward, but I cannot just copy tr6 files into a directory and access them in OpenRCT or RCT2.  I am very puzzled.

• 3 weeks later...