A new take on RCT1 scenarios

Leudimin

I've been playing Roller Coaster Tycoon since I was a child, and I've attempted several playthroughs, Millenium Mines being the furthest I've ever reached. Then I downloaded some remakes of these scenarios for RCT2, and I edited them to make some sort of sandboxes (but with the 10 coaster goal, as there was no way to set it to "Have Fun!"), and did several iterations of the first three parks, each one turned out better than the previous one. Now with OpenRCT2 I can now use the original, ripped straight from RCT1 scenarios, and modify them to add RCT2 stuff, make them money-free, and set the goal to "Have Fun!", and so I'm taking a try to do all 21 original scenarios my way, and then maybe the 30 from Added Attractions/Corkscrew Follies. I have never liked Loopy Landscapes.

So first stop, Forest Frontiers.

Forest Frontiers was the first contact we all had with the Roller Coaster Tycoon series, and takes place in a cleared out section of a forest. First thing I did was buying out all the avalaible land before turning cash off and changing goals. I like to start by placing two info kiosks at both sides of the path just after the entrance, and then putting a merry-go-round and a twist in the entrance area.

59e20037e5da4_ForestFrontiers2017-10-1413-18-24.thumb.png.767444246ee4502d44f4924d4eb7022e.png

Yes, I've used the build on pause cheat, so the park wouldn't start without rides. However from now on I'll be building the usual way. Still have to place a restroom/toilet as well as a food court. I always end up placing a looping coaster and then a wooden one in every park I build, but I may try something different.

Notice the game is in Spanish. So I am, and as such everything besides the park itself (which will retain its original English name) will be named in Spanish.

• Like 3

So after building a few more things I decided to switch languages and name everything in English. This had the side effect of the twist being repainted, as I had it named after the local (association) football team and since I hate FC Barcelona, which plays with the same colo(u)rs, I changed the twist from maroon and navy back to the colors it came when I built it, red and white, and renamed it Scrambled Eggs (as this was the name the twist was known in RCT1).

So now for the things built this year. We are now starting year 2... and well above the original goal of 250 guests in the first year (It's not rare for me to beat this with 500+ guests. Heck, Evergreen Gardens had 1000 guests at the end of year 4 and I once ended with 2200). Things built so far are the food court, a fresh new custom entrance using the sandbox cheat, and then the first coaster, a looping coaster which didn't turn out great. For a few years now I've honored those who have to fight rare diseases, and almost always this is done with a looping coaster. This one is called the Mitocoaster.59eb50ea5c9fa_ForestFrontiers2017-10-2114-40-46.thumb.png.f84e2a474d5b9d57e8739d94e43c42f4.png

Then, as in OpenRCT2 one can add rides into the avalaible rides list after starting the scenario, I did so to build some rapids.  There's no complete park for me without a river rapids and a log flume (yet to be built, it will be located at the back). I'll be back to the object selection several times more due to the poor thrill ride selection the original Forest Frontiers came with, only twist and pirate ship. Also shown in the picture is the new entrance.59eb5437c5b19_ForestFrontiers2017-10-2114-40-53.thumb.png.3c68f0f14b1eb998b4704dceed40b153.png

BTW, I don't use double wide paths as guests will use one side anyways, so I stick to "narrow" paths. It may look crowded...

• Like 2

The rapids will probably look better if you vary the tree types a bit.. (Or are these just placeholder trees? :D)  Also, rollercoasters usually look a lot nicer if you vary a bit with the color of the landscape, especially with that mine theming.

Also, you could try to make the buildings a bit nicer.. You know, add some windows, maybe add some small lines of different color.. Add some walls inside (next to the paths). The following is something i made in 5 minutes just to show some stuff you can do to make a building look prettier:

59ebc4bd8b866_HappyValley2017-10-2200-00-54.thumb.png.da2008286455bfc95d08e7544e6b8e9a.png

Ayway, these are just some tips.. If you like your buildings please keep building that way :D

• Like 2

I take the windows suggestion, and I've retrofitted the existing buildings with windows. As for the trees, I just looked at what is placed outside the park and continued into it. In fact there are two types of trees in between the rapids.

Incidentally just after my last post I continued building, adding a Ferris wheel and a second food court at the end of the "main street". I also built some stands selling coaster gifts (T-shirts and hats), added some more scenery to the coaster, and changed the toilets (UK)/restrooms (US) to log cabins.

59ec85c710369_ForestFrontiers2017-10-2213-20-09.thumb.png.b7baf92d3d5cda7d360f00915e0befb0.png

Next thing I'll do is fill the right side (as seen from the entrance). Normally I build a reverse-incline launched corkscrew coaster at the back along with other stuff, but I may do something different...

• Like 2

While the right side section is cleared out of red and caucassian fir trees and the paths are laid out, I pose a question: Anyone has noticed that Mr. B park from the title sequence is actually a reboot of Karts & Coasters? I've compared the landscapes and they are identical.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Leudimin said:

While the right side section is cleared out of red and caucassian fir trees and the paths are laid out, I pose a question: Anyone has noticed that Mr. B park from the title sequence is actually a reboot of Karts & Coasters? I've compared the landscapes and they are identical.

Heh nice, I never noticed:P

Wow, I cannot believe I managed to fit a corkscrew coaster, a haunted house and a bumper cars in roughly the space of the infamous Micro Park. I've also added karting and mini-golf courses. Now what I've dubbed the front section is complete.

59f9c789701cc_ForestFrontiers2017-11-0113-53-32.thumb.png.03998484af958ee6b1a599131bf4c5f3.png

Here is what is behind the trees :D. The rapids are included.

59f9c83d29478_ForestFrontiers2017-11-0113-53-45.thumb.png.8c352dd75d8f9c801a0f573af893c311.png

Now I'm moving to what I call the back section. It will feature a wooden coaster and a log flume. I've been considering building the Deurklink's flagship twister coaster (named Eye of the Tiger in his Great Circle park and Illuminati Confirmed in the Group Park), but I decided not do so due to space limitations and possible copyright claims.

Edited by Leudimin
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Leudimin said:

Now I'm moving to what I call the back section. It will feature a wooden coaster and a log flume. I've been considering building the Deurklink's flagship twister coaster (named Eye of the Tiger in his Great Circle park and Illuminati Confirmed in the Group Park), but I decided not do so due to space limitations and possible copyright claims.

Hah, just wait until vekoma finds out about your boomerang coaster :P But please, feel free to use my designs. I usually get inspired to try stuff by looking at other people's creations and it is by no means copyrighted. (the space limit may ruin it though :P)

• Like 1

So in the end I decided not to build as many flat rides as I did in previous versions, and instead built Deurklink's flagship coaster, which actually fits into what I call the transverse section. This iteration is called the Great Forest Ring. Flanking both sides a maze and a top spin have been built. I've also built the wooden coaster (which for some reason I like to name The Lumberjacks) and a log flume as promised. I also like to hide a crooked house (which is meant to represent a log cabin, but I only use vanilla RCT2 objects) somewhere inside the wooden coaster, but this time is within the log flume.

5a0382c3007ac_ForestFrontiers2017-11-0822-57-04.thumb.png.18050f9dd15c1bf3c51e7e5b8550cbce.png

I like wooden coasters over steel ones, as they can reach very high excitement ratings with relatively short tracks. In fact I've achieved most of the few very high excitement ratings with wooden coasters (though my personal record is held by a hyper-twister one at 8.69). This one has an excitement rating of almost 8 (7.93, but the extreme outside the pic is still without scenery) in only 750 meters (2500 feet), while the Mitocoaster (also pictured) has only 6.59 despite being longer.

Next up I'll grow a tree... a really big tree.

PS: some time ago I built a hat stall selling only green hats. But before I could change the colo(u)r of them four guests managed to get red hats. So I've drowned them. RIP Boris B., Catherina C., Isabella B., and Malcolm C.

Edited by Leudimin
  • Like 1

The tree is now grown! Yet somehow it reminds me of a Minecraft's creeper...

5a06ea0cc93e8_ForestFrontiers2017-11-1113-09-38.thumb.png.795706d670e3c69287065999335fc963.png

Inside the tree there is a launched freefall, built to my standards of 42 m (140 ft) tall and a launch speed of 90 km/h (56 mph, 25 m/s). Also shown is the forest part of a mine ride that extends to a still under construction area of the park (the last unbuilt area).5a06ef5495310_ForestFrontiers2017-11-1113-09-40.thumb.png.fe765c4dc75557cd2ead1d10f4d841f6.png

There is one ride that is a must on my parks but has not been shown yet here: The pirate ship. Don't worry, there's one already built on a lake outside the pics (where four guests were drowned), although the area is still under construction. It will feature different scenery to the rest of the park. Once the area is completed so will be the park and we'll move to the desert for the second project.

• Like 1

Okay, things have gone faster than I thought. The mine themed area is now complete. I normally fill the area around the lake (which on the original RCT is for sale) with more "advanced" flat rides, but this time I didn't place as many flat rides here and overall.  Just a pirate ship (otherwise it wouldn't be a park from me) and a rotodrop as a mine shaft are the only rides in the area, plus the aforementioned mine ride. In addition a third food court has been placed in the area.

5a077c8f3d660_ForestFrontiers2017-11-1123-30-30.thumb.png.6f67a21d1c28269153aabe341caf92c9.png

With this area finished, Forest Frontiers is now completed! This is the final product. I'm also releasing the save if anyone want to take a look, this is my first uploaded park ever (excluding the group park).5a077e2aa85cf_ForestFrontiers2017-11-1123-43-44.thumb.png.08dd306faad02d23760aaaba3e944dbe.png

Forest Frontiers.sv6

See you in the desert!

Edit (3 December): Updated saved file with a second first aid room near the roto-drop, as it is a major source of puke and handymen don't wander into the area often. Changed the colo(u)rs of some trains, as I forgot to do so while I was building the park.

Edited by Leudimin
  • Like 2

Dynamite Dunes

Welcome to the second park, located in the middle of the desert. As the scenario editor deletes every existing ride on a .sc6 file, I would raise the land where Dynamite Blaster normally sits to match the surrounding environment, but OpenRCT2 allows to start a new game and then change the scenario settings, and as result...

5a08cf1db414d_DynamiteDunes2017-11-1223-38-48.thumb.png.0cd48a31396140ad5570504111a86640.png

... the coaster is still there :D. However I plan to retrofit it with block brakes in order to minimize the chances of a station brakes failure and thus a crash, as well as adding some scenery. But that won't happen before I build the usual merry-go-round and twist.

I usually plan my desert parks around three areas: an oasis, an Egyptian area, and an Indian area. This time, because Dynamite Blaster is there, I'll add some mine theming to it. Stay tuned to Group Park radio! (I don't use its call sign because as we know it matches the initials of a deadly childhood cancer type...)

• Like 1

I've forced a station brakes failure and yes, Dynamite Blaster doesn't crash due to it. Anyway I think such a stop would be a bit uncomfortable, so I'll be modifying it anyway.

Meanwhile I started working on the entrance area. Nothing special, just typical stuff to keep guests in the park while I rebuild the station of the coaster.

5a0a11df3297d_DynamiteDunes2017-11-1322-34-49.thumb.png.a5c2b23677352efa5d080f927d3fa55c.png

Fun fact: the date in the screenshot is my birthday (And while I'm at it we are now in the period all OpenRCT2 parks are closed for maintenance and other stuff).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been busy lately, and as result Dynamite Dunes has seen little progress (but at least it now has restrooms (US)/toilets (UK), I noticed I had not built one shortly after the previous post). Anyway, the original coaster has received a brand new station building and some themeing.

5a189f32995da_DynamiteDunes2017-11-2423-31-29.thumb.png.adf26b0469032f1e6fac65e5c97d248d.png

There's also a Ferris Wheel (one of the musts in my parks), which I'm not showing yet as the area is still under construction. However I haven't decided yet what to build.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Leudimin said:

I've been busy lately, and as result Dynamite Dunes has seen little progress (but at least it now has restrooms (US)/toilets (UK), I noticed I had not built one shortly after the previous post). Anyway, the original coaster has received a brand new station building and some themeing.

There's also a Ferris Wheel (one of the musts in my parks), which I'm not showing yet as the area is still under construction. However I haven't decided yet what to build.

Cool, it reminds me of the building i made in minecraft today:

13.png.c57f28598455a4c8ab9a19789f9e30b4.png

(PS: nobody will get offended whether you say restrooms or toilet, just pick one)

I prefer to mention both anyway, as English is not my native language (as shown by the screenshots, the game is set to Spanish). In later parks I'll be running into rides and even entire parks with different names (e.g. the Döppelganger in Diamond Heights was unnamed in the American release, and Katie's Dreamland was known as Katie's World).

Anyway, back to the park. Somehow I like to build a junior coaster, and this time it has been built around the dune that lies to the right as one enters the park. I named it Tour de Dune. A Ferris Wheel has been placed atop the dune, I like to build them at hilltops as they appear to be taller than they actually are. I decided to keep the dune mostly devoid of any scenery. The start of year 2 is turning out to be very rainy, it's raining for the third time in just a month.

5a1975bbb2902_DynamiteDunes2017-11-2514-48-34.thumb.png.8251a9b2a5619d5739fc99bdd0c90b21.png

I've also replaced the "traditional" park entrance with park entrance gates. And I apologize as I cheated in order to build the station building for Tour de Dune, the clearance check was disabled purely for aesthetics.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm less busy now so expect more updates from me. Thus far, a log flume and a haunted house have been built. I like to create an oasis in a depressed section of land located at the back of the entrance area, around which I created the log flume.5a231ba440ea9_DynamiteDunes2017-12-0221-40-42.thumb.png.d3b3ac0ef0bbeaa8aa806023fd9f8189.png

The dune behind is usually the last area to be developed, and where the Wild West themeing usually goes. Now I'm going to the area around Dynamite Blaster, where a pyramid or two will be placed.

• Like 1

So I continued building behind Dynamite Blaster. The first pyramid has been placed, containing a maze beneath it. Next to it a crazy mouse coaster, named Crazy Desert Mice, has been built. I like crazy mice to be short but intense. 

Not far from it a food cout has been set up, as this is far from the one near the entrance. Finally yet another coaster, a wooden one this time, has been built. It's named World of Desert as it's placed where all planned theme areas will meet. I usually don't build a coaster through another, as I find the result quite messy, but this time part of World of Desert sneaks through Dynamite Blaster. Not all of the coaster is shown as it ventures in yet to be built areas.

5a2aab463b092_DynamiteDunes2017-12-0815-06-08.thumb.png.d053f29f6782fcf59a742d30f1df6c90.png

• Like 1

And in the end I've built yet another coaster! This time the corkscrew coaster is an impulse launched one named Scorpion. It also contains no corkscrews. Next to it a Go-Kart track has been laid, and inside it another pyramid, this time containing a motion simulator, has been built.

5a2c6aaae5f50_DynamiteDunes2017-12-0923-52-20.thumb.png.cd9b258bb4bcad4f8299793502dc48b9.png

If you don't believe me, here's the same pyramid with the "See through scenery" option turned on:

5a2c6b5aa66ca_DynamiteDunes2017-12-0923-55-50.thumb.png.413278e12af0bbdc2fbeea1108062245.png

Next I'll get up the dune to complete the park. The wild west themeing will go there, in addition to a big coaster and several other rides. This time I won't be building a pirate ship, though, as I like to build them surrounded by water and in the desert there's (almost) no water. It will be back for Leafy Lake.

Edit: Dang it, I thought I had saved the game, and now the corkscrew coaster is gone. Well...

Edit, 2: Okay, now it's back in place, and this time it makes two laps. I've also corrected the entrance style for the motion simulator. And this time I saved the game, and as result it's now one month earlier than shown (I didn't need to tweak the coaster).

Edited by Leudimin
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...