Improved rendering of zoomed out views

hpg

When zooming out in-game the sprites don't get scaled very nicely (same as the original game). I'm guessing this is because the whole game is currently limited to its 256-color palette, but if it's ever capable of rendering the entire full-resolution map and then scaling it with more color depth and a bilinear or bicubic algorithm the zoomed out views would look so much better. 

For example, here are two screenshots of the same overview of G Force's Westwinds. Top is the in-game view, bottom is a giant screenshot scaled to the same size in Photoshop.

59da770103816_Westwinds2017-10-0814-48-11_In-Game.thumb.png.25aa85445dd28624c00f51d97e1c890f.png

59da770a4989a_Westwinds2017-10-0814-48-11_Scaled.thumb.png.7b07de26ca61de4183552d7a3319ba78.png

Now, there are some obvious performance implications here. This could easily be just a pipe dream on my part, but I've seen high enough frame rates with the OpenGL renderer to think that it could be possible on a fast enough machine. Anyone else know enough about the drawing engines to comment on the feasibility of this?

Cheers,

-hpg

Edited by hpg
  • Like 1

Sounds like that means it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

This gives me a slightly different idea though. It wouldn't be quite as cool, but what if it automatically rendered a high quality view like this when you pause the game while zoomed out? That'd still be a pretty sweet feature.

Edited by hpg
  • Like 1