VIRUS DETECTED IN LAUNCHER UPDATE

My computer began to detect a "win32:malware-gen" virus after installing "avg free anti-virus". I was told at github.com that the"win32:malware-gen" virus is harmless and nothing to worry about. I have since uninstalled avg and the game now opens. I suspect that the win32:malware-gen may be something like a "decoy" to actually prevent other virus's, but no one at github has told me exactly what it is. Anyway i don't seem to have any virus or problem with my computer now, so it probably is harmless, but i am still wondering what exactly is "win32:malware-gen", does anybody know?... well, thanks anyway...

4 hours ago, joshmarsilio said:

My computer began to detect a "win32:malware-gen" virus after installing "avg free anti-virus". I was told at github.com that the"win32:malware-gen" virus is harmless and nothing to worry about. I have since uninstalled avg and the game now opens. I suspect that the win32:malware-gen may be something like a "decoy" to actually prevent other virus's, but no one at github has told me exactly what it is. Anyway i don't seem to have any virus or problem with my computer now, so it probably is harmless, but i am still wondering what exactly is "win32:malware-gen", does anybody know?... well, thanks anyway...

AVG, along with many other antivirus software programs, have a scanning function that identifies possible new unknown viruses to send them back to the companies for analysis.  Unfortunately, this scanning function can have a lot of false positives,  and this is likely what happened in your case.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting virus warnings every which way when I try to download or run the latest version of the Windows x64 installer. I've tried everything; flagging it through both Windows Defender and Avast, but the installer just will not work. Has anyone found a proper fix for this, or are the devs working on clearing up the installers so they appear less virus-y?