Peeps Can't Find Park Exit after Moving it in Sandbox Mode

Update: I was thinking that maybe the peeps who entered the park before the entrance was moved were still trying to use the old exit location, so I used a bunch of No Entry signs to get all guests out. I then reopened the park, and I'm getting the same issue now. The peeps are congregating near the center of the park and endlessly walking in a loop there.

Okay, further update here, this time with screenshots. Now, I have an entrance back at the original location, and have peeps piling up in seemingly random places. Can someone please explain how the pathing algorithms work and how I can fix this from happening?

People Pile! All of them want to leave the park.

Knoebels Amusement Resort 2017-08-21 19-04-21.png

Park Entrances, lower one in screenshot is the original location.

Knoebels Amusement Resort 2017-08-21 19-04-29.png

Edited by saxman1089
On 8/22/2017 at 01:12, cascadia said:

You should try filing an issue on the game's GitHub site, since more developers are there then here for bug reports.  

I'm just not sure it's a bug, which is why I don't want to go that route yet. I tried to reproduce it in a different park of mine with no luck.

• 2 weeks later...

@saxman1089I took a quick look at the save game and have identified that the problem is in inconsistent path edge connections of the path tiles under and neighboring the avenue of trees on this path, particular where circled in the image (I didn't examine further areas).

bad_edges1.png.dff77777b9a2730fe32787737d8badd9.png

For the example tile shown in the tile inspector (the path under the tree next to the bench where the peeps are turning the corner) you can see all edges are connected. This is inconsistent with the neighboring tile with the bench (or the bench would not show. These inconsistent edge connections are causing the calculation of the wide path flags not to work as intended, which in turn is breaking the pathfinding. The edge connections also directly impact the pathfinding.

Tidy up the edge connections in this area (either manually using the Tile Inspector or replace all the paths and use temporary fences to prevent connections where you want the benches to be) so they are consistent between neighboring tiles and things will start working again.

If you need further help with this, just ask.

• Like 1

I specifically need something gravel rather than tarmac. I was using a darker tarmac previously, and I didn't like how it looked (others also didn't if you check out my screenshots over at NE). I'm going to try the K0NG off-white path and associated scenery tile for now, but may make a grey gravel-type path and scenery-tile in the future.

11 hours ago, saxman1089 said:

Anybody know if there is a full-tiled version of the K0NG off white path?

Sorry, its not a K0NG path, its Indiana Jones or something like that. But a full-tiled version of the actual path would be SO SO helpful. @CharlieP maybe you can help me out with that? Basically I need a full-tiled path that matches the K0NG off-white scenery tile.

Also getting back to the original thread.... the problem is definitely fixed. I had to basically re-do probably 80% of the pathing in the park, but it fixed the problem. I'll close the Github issue later today.

Any problem with using the off-white scenery tile with an invisible path on top? I suppose an actual path could be a bit more convenient if it's available, but the invisible path should work as well. Just have to turn on height marks on paths in order to place lamps/bins/etc on top or to delete a piece of path without using the clear scenery tool or tile inspector.

Edited by hpg
  • Like 2

I was shying away from it because I didn't know it was possible to place items so on invisible paths. But you just said it's possible, so your comment helps a bunch! Still might be nice to have the full width path though. I like to be able to see the majority of the path system when I turn off the scenery, so I can solve any pathing issues more easily.

Edited by saxman1089
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@saxman1089 The pathing looks fine.  The wide path flags calculated from the edges look normal.

I turned on the path finding debugging to see if there's something weird happening there.

The peeps leaving the park are using the following location for their destination: x: 2, y: 75, height: 14.

The exit location is however at x:2, y: 94, height: 14.

This explains why they aren't leaving.

I added some debugging to print out the entrance location in the map data.

There are 2 park entrance locations in the map data:

Entrance 0: 2, 94, 14

Entrance 2: 2, 75, 14

At what ever location the currently stuck peeps were when they decided to leave, they were closer to the entrance 2 location.

How you get rid of this obsolete entrance location data I do not know.

Maybe someone else can help you out there.

• Like 2

@zaxcav

So it does look like this might be an original bug with moving the entrance in sandbox mode? That coordinate set sounds like where it was placed originally before I moved it....

Would you or @Broxzier be able to point me to somebody who might be able to help out with this? 

EDIT: Also reopened the original issue on Github to see if anybody can help me out there.

Edited by saxman1089

Two of the park entrance entries are set, however only one is present in the park. The peeps that want to leave try to get to the one that has been removed forcefully. By removing this entrance from the park entrance entries, the peeps are going to the one entrance that is still in the park.

Here's the park with the removed park entrance also removed from the array: Knoebels_v1.21.sv6

• Like 1