CCC 3

The next CCC is here! The theme is this CCC is... Complex Coaster Contest!

The goal: Build a complex coaster within the given set of rules. Since this is a complex coaster contest, the coaster must make use of the "shoestring" technique.

Basic rules:
The coaster may not use more than 165 tiles. This is calculated by multiplying the numbers shown on the select coaster design screen (a rectangle including entrance/exit). Valid options are 2x82, 3x55, 4x41, 5x33, 6x27, 7x23, 8x20, 9x18, 10x16, 11x15 and 12x13.
It must be possible to build a valid path (without cheats) from the entrance and the exit (entrance and exit may be rotated).
The coaster type and all scenery must be available in vanilla RCT2 (NCSO, no WW/TT).

Contest specific rules:
The cars of the train must be split at some point, and later merged together (try to make them line up again properly, but a small gap is allowed)
The coaster should run properly after resetting
Track must be build above the ground on a flat landscape (if you want to hide one car for the shoestring, you may do that underground)
Using scenery is allowed, but not required
All in-game available tools are allowed, except the copy/paste tools in the tile inspector

Judging:
After the contest is over, everyone can vote for the best coaster.
There will however be bonus points awarded for good shoestrings (if the ride can be left running for hours without issues). If the shoestring works for 1 ride, you may submit your coaster. If it works for at least 5 rides, the coaster will get 0-1 bonus votes. If it keeps working forever, the coaster will get 0-3 bonus votes. The exact number of bonus votes depends on the number of coasters submitted and the number of votes cast.

Participating:
Select a flat landscape and build your coaster on it. Once you're done post the save file and at least one and up to four screenshots/video's in this topic. Remember that you'll want people to vote for your coaster, so make sure it looks good. I will post a link to all youtube-video's on the voting page. You may not submit another coaster (or a newer version of your coaster) within 1 week of your last submission. There is no limit to the number of submissions per account, as long as there's at least a week between each pair of submissions (thus the max is 11).

Timeline:
The contest will be open for submissions until November 7th, 2017.

Previous CCC's:

1. Compact Coaster Contest
  2. Christmas Coaster Contest

Spread the word and may the best coaster win!

Edited by jensj12
  • Like 4

Tutorial: How to build a proper shoestring coaster:

First, build this:

598329dc6416d_Happypark(sb)2017-08-0315-33-25.thumb.png.c094ec50d62304c9b39fd153a6899dd7.png

Then disable clearance checks and first build a s-bend connecting the two tracks, then complete the track from the station (the order is important!).

59832a8a0aa2c_Happypark(sb)2017-08-0315-33-55.thumb.png.16bc808cc679c4663c07fc028f6501c8.png

Then finish the track. You'll experience some difficulties along the way, but most should be fixable.

59832a8d007eb_Happypark(sb)2017-08-0315-46-05.thumb.png.079f5b2417527f5dadf7011620b631b1.png

Note that, even though I tried to make it perfect, the 2nd part of the train enters the station slightly too early (visible after 4 rides). For full bonus points, make sure the train remains intact even after thousands of rides.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jensj12 said:

(track must be build above the ground on a flat landscap)

This seems like a strange rule for a contest involving shoestring coasters, unless you mean only that the visible track should be built above ground. Placing the other track underground is the easiest way to hide it - you could use cheats to hide the track, but to make a ride vehicle invisible with hacks is much more difficult (but still possible, I guess). You could also use scenery to hide the track, but doing this well would also be challenging (unless, of course making it challenging was your intention).

6 hours ago, jensj12 said:

I remember you once posted a nice shoestring coaster, but I couldn't find it. Can you post a link to it here as an example?

Was it this one?

t5E3rkH.jpg

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1

If disabling clearance checks is not allowed, you're going to have a difficult time setting up the shoestring. The usual way to do it is with a track merge, which requires ZC. In principle, you could do it without - but it would be a lot of work, and the end result would be identical to using ZC and then deleting the merge after the fact.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Was it this one?

No, I meant one with both parts of the train completing a track and coming back together before the station. Factory theme. Is that also called shoestring or should I edit the rules to use the correct name?

Tbh I haven't even thought of shoestring coasters where only one part of the train remains visible. As long as the cars come back together the rules currently don't block it.

Edited by jensj12
  • Like 2

Could be it this one? This was the first shoestring coaster I posted (and I've only posted two). It's a bit of an unusual example because I made the splitting and recombining part of the ride, instead of hiding it underground as you would normally do. It's probably the most unrealistic ride I've ever made.

23 minutes ago, jensj12 said:

I haven't even thought of shoestring coasters where only one part of the train is used

If the train is all in one piece it's not a shoestring, just a merge. You split the train, but usually you only have one part of the train visible - you'd hide the other, and use the second track to place track pieces that can't be placed on the main track, like the diagonal station and brake run in the Silberpfiel above.

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Could be it this one? This was the first shoestring coaster I posted (and I've only posted two). It's a bit of an unusual example because I made the splitting and recombining part of the ride, instead of hiding it underground as you would normally do. It's probably the most unrealistic ride I've ever made.

Yes. I loved that one. Even though it's far from realistic, it was quite fun to look at.

Anyways, I'll just allow anything that splits a train and merges it again. Use it for whatever you'd like.

1 hour ago, Broxzier said:

That's a quite advanced challenge this time, that I've never tried before. Count me in! Is disabling clearance checks allowed for anything non-shoestring related?

Yes:

8 hours ago, jensj12 said:

Allowed cheats/hacks/debugging tools: all in-game available tools

• Like 1

Does that also mean that you are allowed to meet the requirement of entrance/exit being connected by turning it with tile inspector, and from there on connecting a path?

Or does it only apply to the track of the coaster itself?

26 minutes ago, Wuis said:

Does that also mean that you are allowed to meet the requirement of entrance/exit being connected by turning it with tile inspector, and from there on connecting a path?

Or does it only apply to the track of the coaster itself?

Yep, you may do that. To prevent more complicated tricks, I've excluded the copy/paste tool from the tile inspector. This game has way too many options to cheat stuff...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

If disabling clearance checks is not allowed, you're going to have a difficult time setting up the shoestring. The usual way to do it is with a track merge, which requires ZC. In principle, you could do it without - but it would be a lot of work, and the end result would be identical to using ZC and then deleting the merge after the fact.

Can I ask what ZC is? thanks

• 2 months later...
On 3-8-2017 at 21:56, X7123M3-256 said:

If the train is all in one piece it's not a shoestring, just a merge. You split the train, but usually you only have one part of the train visible - you'd hide the other, and use the second track to place track pieces that can't be placed on the main track, like the diagonal station and brake run in the Silberpfiel above.

Wow this is amazing stuff. So how do the physics work with 2 half cars? What speed will it have?

I just see this thread now! Hmm I'm interested to try, even if there's only 2 days to go.

EDIT: First try ended with a 41x6 blocks.... ouch. This is hard. Also just for reference, does this can be classified as shoestring coaster?

59dcc717a7d71_ScrathPark2017-10-1020-08-35.thumb.png.a14217d3e75972124aa2576bf079a8f7.png

Edited by giraty
On 8/3/2017 at 15:56, X7123M3-256 said:

This has got to be the most insane thing I've ever seen in RCT2. So cool!

You all have piqued my interest, so I may participate now!

On 10/9/2017 at 18:00, Deurklink said:

So how do the physics work with 2 half cars? What speed will it have?

The game considers the cars as one train so it sums up the forces on each car as if they were still connected. If you have half the train on a downward slope and half on an upward slope, the net acceleration is zero. It is of course stupidly unrealistic to use it in that way - normally, you only split off one car so that the effect on the physics is as small as possible, and you use that extra car to speed up and slow down the real one when you need to. It's useful if you want brakes/launches/station platforms on diagonal or sloped track, and you can get a triple launch this way as well (though I think you can do that much more easily with boosters now).

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to put my entry now, Chaotic Confusion. However, I have to say to you, I can't seem to save the track file, it always crashed the game when I attempt to do so. Two more points: This is not realistic at all. I feel 150 tiles is just too small for this kind of coaster. Second, I took liberal interpretation of 150 tiles limit. My coaster is 18x8 + 7 - 7 tiles. What it means? As in screenshot, whatever in inside sand is where coaster located. Grass inside indicates there's no coaster part in that tile at all, so by that I take it as 144 tiles. But it's up to you to judge.

59eee60391554_TestPark2017-10-2414-00-42.thumb.png.3e5e58eba1e637d07001b41fa5bf3e88.png

So here is the attachtment of the park file with the ride.

Caraxl Park 2017-10-24 13-56-31.png

Caraxl Park 2017-10-24 13-56-41.png

Caraxl Park 2017-10-24 13-56-43.png

CCC3a.sv6

Edited by giraty
  • Like 1

Wow. This is a cleverly confusing thread! This is the type of thing I would always expect to see, but never actually see it happen, so when it does, it is quite unexpected.

I am surely going to sit back and glance on this every once in awhile. Pretty great idea, if ya ask me! :D

Edited by BlazingEmpireHD
4 hours ago, giraty said:

I'm going to put my entry now, Chaotic Confusion. However, I have to say to you, I can't seem to save the track file, it always crashed the game when I attempt to do so. Two more points: This is not realistic at all. I feel 150 tiles is just too small for this kind of coaster. Second, I took liberal interpretation of 150 tiles limit. My coaster is 18x8 + 7 - 7 tiles. What it means? As in screenshot, whatever in inside sand is where coaster located. Grass inside indicates there's no coaster part in that tile at all, so by that I take it as 144 tiles. But it's up to you to judge.

This is beautiful, i love how the cars go through the interlocking loops at the same time.

After many runs, it is no longer synchronised though. Not sure if this can be prevented on a shoestring coaster :P

Edited by Deurklink
  • Like 1