Ride prices suddenly become Free

Playing RCT1 scenarios. Seemingly at random (though it may be after a certain time in a scenario) all my rides become free and the option becomes greyed out. I have not set a park admission price, so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to charge for rides.  Reloading doesn't help.

The odd thing is that even if I load an old autosave (where I know charging for rides was working) it's still showing as Free with the option greyed out. So it seems to be a bug with the game that is not tied to the saved game file.

Edited by s0cks
3 hours ago, s0cks said:

have not set a park admission price, so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to charge for rides

That's not quite how it works - a park is either paid admission or paid rides. If it's paid admission, you can't charge for rides, even if the entrance price is set to "free".

If you want to make the park into a pay-per-ride park, type "set pay_for_rides 1" into the console.

If you want to charge for both admission and rides, you can use the "Unlock all prices" cheat from park tab of the cheat window.

3 hours ago, s0cks said:

The odd thing is that even if I load an old autosave (where I know charging for rides was working) it's still showing as Free with the option greyed out. So it seems to be a bug with the game that is not tied to the saved game file.

It's not a bug, it's expected behaviour. The status of cheats is not saved in the save file, because the SV6 format has no support for saving cheats because vanilla doesn't have any cheats.

The cause of this confusion seems to be that OpenRCT2 enables "unlock all prices" automatically upon loading an SV4 file, so people don't realize the cheat is turned on and/or that it isn't part of the save file. But if you save that park as SV6 and reload it, the game has no way to tell that it was originally an RCT1 park, so you must enable the cheat manually if it isn't already on.

If you do not intend to charge an entrance fee, it would be better to switch the park to a pay-per-ride park because then you don't need to have the cheat turned on.

• Like 3