Player controlled peeps

I recently watched a twitch streamer (Vargskelethor) playing OpenRCT2. He tried playing with his viewers, but that has gone to shit pretty fast as you could imagine :D

This streamer likes to fuck around with the peeps on the map. That's when an idea struck me:

How about you open a server in which only the host can build and the clients get each one of the peeps assigned which he can tell to do things, like go to this position or ride on that track. They would have to manage their money and raise the fun level of their peep or it will leave the park, etc... you get the idea, there's a lot of potential. It would be funny if the client could control the thoughts of the peep :)

Tell me what you think of it and maybe one of the devs could give us insight if this would be possibel to realise. If so, maybe I will dedicate some time looking into it...

Cheers

• Like 2

While I think this is a cool idea, I doubt we'll see this as this sounds very hard to come to fruition. I mean that it'd be hard to implement, and a bunch would have to change. You should give the devs a break. ;)  I do not know how they can update a game multiple times a day....jeez.

Edited by BlazingEmpireHD

That sounds pretty cool! For a stream, I can imagine the watchers controlling their guests using commands, like "!me goto Big Coaster". Implementing those kinds of command should not be too hard. Maybe, when Twitch integration gets fixed, this could be added afterwards.

There was a modified version of OpenRCT2, called PeepWatch, which sadly has died a few months, which would do nothing other than following peeps on the map. Now imagine if a watcher could just control their own guest through commands. :P

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Broxzier said:

There was a modified version of OpenRCT2, called PeepWatch, which sadly has died a few months, which would do nothing other than following peeps on the map. Now imagine if a watcher could just control their own guest through commands. :P

Do you have a link to this?

On 13.6.2017 at 18:37, BlazingEmpireHD said:

While I think this is a cool idea, I doubt we'll see this as this sounds very hard to come to fruition. I mean that it'd be hard to implement, and a bunch would have to change. You should give the devs a break. ;)  I do not know how they can update a game multiple times a day....jeez.

Hm yes indeed it could be problematic configuring a client to be not allowed building, haven't looked into that.

I'm amazed at how the developers hacked into the original binary, however it makes finding out how things work hard from time to time :D

Broxziers idea could simplify things:

22 hours ago, Broxzier said:

That sounds pretty cool! For a stream, I can imagine the watchers controlling their guests using commands, like "!me goto Big Coaster". Implementing those kinds of command should not be too hard. Maybe, when Twitch integration gets fixed, this could be added afterwards.

I don't know if you meant it this way, but that's what I thought you did first time reading your comment: Using twitch chat to send the commands.

That definitly wouldn't be requiring to rewrite code and extracting the commands from chat wouldn't be hard either, so that goes for it.

But I don't know if it would be that satisfying only seeing your peep when the streamers highlights it by random. I couldn't find any info on PeepWatch, I'd like to know what it actually did. Sounds like they found a solution to that problem. But still this could make up for some fun when suddenly all peeps want to ride one particular rollercoaster xD

The other thing that bothers me with this idea is that twitch chat would be spammed with all the commands. From taking a quick look at the Twitch API I didn't see any possibility to hide or delete those comments (what you can do is wipe all comments of one user. but that isn't really great either)

Edited by Dalmanos
spelling lel
  • Like 1

This sounds pretty cool. My question is this: If you were to send a peep to an attraction, what guarantees they'll get on the ride?

EDIT:

Also, if a peeps is hungry, thirsty, mad or needs to pee etc, would the peep bypass the foods, drinks or baths to just get to the attraction or would this be a general direction to send them and they get there when they get there kinda thing?

Edited by SpiffyJack
29 minutes ago, Dalmanos said:

I don't know if you meant it this way, but that's what I thought you did first time reading your comment: Using twitch chat to send the commands.

That definitly wouldn't be requiring to rewrite code and extracting the commands from chat wouldn't be hard either, so that goes for it.

But I don't know if it would be that satisfying only seeing your peep when the streamers highlights it by random. I couldn't find any info on PeepWatch, I'd like to know what it actually did. Sounds like they found a solution to that problem. But still this could make up for some fun when suddenly all peeps want to ride one particular rollercoaster xD

The other thing that bothers me with this idea is that twitch chat would be spammed with all the commands. From taking a quick look at the Twitch API I didn't see any possibility to hide or delete those comments (what you can do is wipe all comments of one user. but that isn't really great either)

That's how I meant it, yeah. Twitch users could send commands that the game then interprets to perform certain actions.

This is the kind of feature the scripting/plugin integration that's going to be implemented should be able to handle. Since very few will actually be using this, making it part of the core game seems unnecessary. When it's a script/plugin, it's up to whoever uses it to give their Twitch users a timeout or something, to keep their chat clean.

3 minutes ago, SpiffyJack said:

This sounds pretty cool. My question is this: If you were to send a peep to an attraction, what guarantees they'll get on the ride?

Unless the queue is full, the guest would just get on the ride... I haven't touched peep behaviour myself, but I imagine it's not hard to force them to go to a specific ride.

21 minutes ago, Broxzier said:

That's how I meant it, yeah. Twitch users could send commands that the game then interprets to perform certain actions.

This is the kind of feature the scripting/plugin integration that's going to be implemented should be able to handle. Since very few will actually be using this, making it part of the core game seems unnecessary. When it's a script/plugin, it's up to whoever uses it to give their Twitch users a timeout or something, to keep their chat clean.

Unless the queue is full, the guest would just get on the ride... I haven't touched peep behaviour myself, but I imagine it's not hard to force them to go to a specific ride.

Understandable. Now I'm forced to ask, then whats the point forcing a peep on a singular level? It seems you can just make them ignore intensities and they will typically populate all attractions depending if the queues are full or not. That being said, I like (or propose) the idea of being able to tag entire groups like a field trip groups or Grad night groups and family groups to travel in a pack and then maybe see how peeps populate areas as they travel through the park as a whole.

Still an interesting idea though.

EDIT:

or is this more about if "I" wanted to walk through a park, "I" can guide myself?

Edited by SpiffyJack
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Broxzier said:

The point is exactly what this feature request is about, to control one of the guests in some way. The idea could be extended to groups, but that'll add a lot of complexity to it both the user and the implementation.

So regarding spamming ( ATM I am not a Twitch user ) But if each twitch user is linked to peep, does that keep track of the spammers? IDK

I don't expect spammers to be a problem, and even if there would be watchers sending loads commands in the chat, a cooldown can be added easily. Also on Twitch the host can set the chat to Slow, but that kinda defeats its interaction with the followers, and the host can mute them on Twitch.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Broxzier said:

Yes it together with Twitch integration would make sense to be put into a plugin. However i haven't heared of a plugin system yet, is this a goal the developers declared themselves? Sounds promising :)

The thing that I was worried about wasn't really people intentionally spamming but just a big streamer with a viewer counter reaching the thousands. But then again thousands of people create a mess in chat anyway so it probably wouldn't be something to worry about.

• Like 1
On 19.6.2017 at 21:15, SpaceJester said:

You could add a bot to delete commands from chat once they've been accepted onto the game.

What do you mean by chat, Twitch chat or ingame chat? It sounds like you mean the ingame chat, which shouldn't be that big of a deal as a bot already exists as imlegos mentioned. The problem we were discussing before was deleting messages of Twitch chat, which seems to be possible only in a not very satisfactorily way.

Twitch vs client

I recently played Multiplayer with a friend of mine and noticed that you can set a client to spectator mode where he can not build. So some sort of user system is already implemented, my idea would be to add an access level where they only could control peeps (or only their personal peep respectively) and chat. Then again spectator access should be just fine for the job anyway, as spectators are allowed to chat, aren't they? So this only would be required if you implement some new gui feature (or an other non chat solution) for controlling the peep.

With an client approach you could watch your peep move through the park opposed to the Twitch way. Also with the client approach you are able to manipulate chat the way you want it. But that way the engine would have to assign a peep to the client manually, different from Twitch were the user is limited by his user name. But one does not have to cancel out the other, once one way is implemented the other one shouldn't be to hard to implement either. I guess it would be wise to implement the easier one (Twitch I assume) first and see if the other one is really necessary.

Groups

On 14.6.2017 at 20:57, SpiffyJack said:

Understandable. Now I'm forced to ask, then whats the point forcing a peep on a singular level? It seems you can just make them ignore intensities and they will typically populate all attractions depending if the queues are full or not. That being said, I like (or propose) the idea of being able to tag entire groups like a field trip groups or Grad night groups and family groups to travel in a pack and then maybe see how peeps populate areas as they travel through the park as a whole.

Still an interesting idea though.

EDIT:

or is this more about if "I" wanted to walk through a park, "I" can guide myself?

Groups are an interesting idea! However considering the level of complexity it would probably be more viable to implement this feature by itself before introducing it to the player controlled peep system which in itself has to be actually implemented. One step at a time :D

We are constructing a solid idea here. Gotta sum up all the ideas coming from you, maybe put it into the wiki and discuss with the developers what their standpoint on this is :)

Edited by Dalmanos

He meant removing people saying guest commands in Twitch chats. The bot I mentioned is infact a twitch bot, which  joins the connected streams of users playing OpenRCT2 on stream (This is dependent on having ORCT2 open and connected to Twitch)

User permissions in servers can be modified by the host to include ability to build attractions, scenery, paths, use cheats, chat, and pretty much everything else. The one thing they can't remove is viewing.

Controlling peeps would be a little awkward since they act like a bouncing Pac-Men, never stoping (Though in this case, even when reaching the edge, they just turn)