Add more months to the game!

damianh1997

This is because, especially back when the game was released, a lot of parks closed through winter. Adding the missing months for a full year opening would be cool, but it's something very minor.

(Missing months are November, December, January and February, right?)

• Like 1

Unlike what I expected, there are not just 8 months because of a hardcoded limit (since 3 bits can represent 8 numbers), so it comes down to being a design choice, as Wuis explained. Adding 4 more months at this point will unbalance the game somewhat, because time will relatively slow down (suddenly you'll have 1,5x the amount of time), and possible invalidate some goals (e.g. get X guests at the end of October year 2).

• Like 2

I agree with all here. I think the original goal was to stay true to real life park times. It wouldn't make sense for every park to stay open a full 12 months, right? Call me out on it, but I doubt there's even one park that is open for more than 10 months in the US. I can't say much for other countries, but I doubt it even then.

It's a nice idea, but I do not see it being implemented. Enjoy the game as is! ;)

Edited by BlazingEmpireHD
3 hours ago, imlegos said:

Wait, when does Disney close?

4 hours ago, BlazingEmpireHD said:

I agree with all here. I think the original goal was to stay true to real life park times. It wouldn't make sense for every park to stay open a full 12 months, right? Call me out on it, but I doubt there's even one park that is open for more than 10 months in the US. I can't say much for other countries, but I doubt it even then.

It's a nice idea, but I do not see it being implemented. Enjoy the game as is! ;)

Disney is open year round.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fodors/10-best-year-round-amusem_b_6264054.html

To put what Cascadia posted simply; 6Flags, Disney, Knotts (And likely by extension, Cedar Fair) and Universal Studios are all open year round. However 6Flags is in RCT2 base and at the same time does not use the missing months. It is also worth noting that Sawyer is Scottish, meaning the times are European based, not American.

Edited by imlegos

That's my fault, @cascadia, I did not click the link :P 

There are a lot more parks that are open year round than I suspected. I assumed there was not too many, because all around where I live close at some point during the year. I also noticed that most of these queued in that list are in hot places, no?

I still see no need for the extra months to be placed in game. At least, if it were, have the option for 8 months (for realism sake) or 12 months.

• 2 months later...

Hello!

There should be an option for the Operation Season:

TIME RANGE PER YEAR:  FROM [MONTH] TO [MONTH]

OPERATION HOURS:  FROM [TIME] TO [TIME]

The TIME RANGE option would permit you to set up the months during when a park would be open.

The OPERATION HOURS option would set the time range (from opening time to closing time) for each day.

An option for TIME DISPLAY FORMAT would set the displyed time in either CUSTOMARY (12-hour halves, with AM/PM—12:00-12:59 MN; 1:00-11:59 AM; 12:00-12:59 HN; 1:00-11:59 PM) or INTERNATIONAL (24-hour consecutive notation, from 0:00 to 23:59) mode.

The notation for year designation (as Year 1, Year 2, ...) would need to be retained.

Example 1:  A temperate zone park (like one that would be located in Maine, Ohio, Kansas, or Alaska) would be set to open during late March—late October; with hours being from 12:00 HN—8:00 PM Sunday—Thursday, and from 10:00 AM—10:00 PM Friday—Saturday.

Example 2:  A subtropical zone park (like one that would be located in Florida, Texas, California, or Hawaii) would be set to open from January to December; with hours being from 12:00 HN—9:00 PM Sunday—Thursday, and from 10:00 AM—12:00 MN Friday—Saturday.

On 9/6/2017 at 02:19, RobWhlkRT12P said:

Hello!

There should be an option for the Operation Season:

TIME RANGE PER YEAR:  FROM [MONTH] TO [MONTH]

OPERATION HOURS:  FROM [TIME] TO [TIME]

The TIME RANGE option would permit you to set up the months during when a park would be open.

The OPERATION HOURS option would set the time range (from opening time to closing time) for each day.

An option for TIME DISPLAY FORMAT would set the displyed time in either CUSTOMARY (12-hour halves, with AM/PM—12:00-12:59 MN; 1:00-11:59 AM; 12:00-12:59 HN; 1:00-11:59 PM) or INTERNATIONAL (24-hour consecutive notation, from 0:00 to 23:59) mode.

The notation for year designation (as Year 1, Year 2, ...) would need to be retained.

Example 1:  A temperate zone park (like one that would be located in Maine, Ohio, Kansas, or Alaska) would be set to open during late March—late October; with hours being from 12:00 HN—8:00 PM Sunday—Thursday, and from 10:00 AM—10:00 PM Friday—Saturday.

Example 2:  A subtropical zone park (like one that would be located in Florida, Texas, California, or Hawaii) would be set to open from January to December; with hours being from 12:00 HN—9:00 PM Sunday—Thursday, and from 10:00 AM—12:00 MN Friday—Saturday.

Please read the whole thread, and look at some of the links above. While it would be a cool feature, I'm not sure it would improve gameplay.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be cool if parks actually closed for the winter months (or it could be turned on/off optionally.) like say, at the beginning of November, rides and shops are shut down and guests leave the park. Then towards the end of February, new guests slowly begin to arrive. This would cause a shift in profits, and players would have to plan accordingly. During the months of November-February, the park would have less expenses (no electrical bills) but would still have to pay employees who would be doing the usual maintenance.  

We could even come up with different systems for the scenario editor, like maybe one scenario actually has snow causing guests to be unhappy and rides to be unsafe, or another scenario could stay open all year. Maybe handymen could shovel snow? (lol maybe thats too much)

Or maybe we could come up with an all new calendar system. Instead of having 8 months to a year, we could have a weekly schedule. Currently 1 month is about 7 minutes, so maybe we could switch 1 month to 1 day, and we could make a day last longer (1 day/month in Planet Coaster is about 12 minutes). Maybe with a day to day system we could have guests leave the park each night (though that might be too frequently).

Edited by breezerHOG
On 6/5/2017 at 09:53, Broxzier said:

more months at this point will unbalance the game somewhat, because time will relatively slow down (suddenly you'll have 1,5x the amount of time), and possible invalidate some goals (e.g. get X guests at the end of October year 2).

that makes sense, but if there was anyway to modify time and correct goals, it would be cool. Maybe you could make it in a way where it does not affect old scenarios, but if people create a new scenario they could set the time and goals specific to their custom scenario, possibly? seems like it would be awesome with the new lighting system!! :) 

Edited by breezerHOG
  • 2 years later...

In the days before build while paused I did wonder if the game having a closed season would be interesting- the park's closed so you get some time for new rides, repairing any vandalism etc, so it could have some gameplay value. Especially as pay-per-entry parks can have the annoyance of not cycling in enough new guests, sometimes a scenario-design game-breaker as even closing a park it empties so so slowly. Could thus combine with improving this aspect of pay-per-entry scenarios.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2017 at 04:36, damianh1997 said:

Yes, i thougt that it would be awesome, but i understand now why they didn't do that. Maybe they can make a option for the one who want it :) 

Still difficult to add.

The game date system in the game save format would need changing.  It is using fixed field format and there is only 3 bits for month, hence 8 months.

Mind you, one could adapt the date format by taking the entire date block together and changing it's date type to epoch of simulation steps from game start.  This would involve adding some math and making the save files invalid in tools that manipulate based on the original date format.  (Unlike simply extending various other limits which are within the limits for the format but not for the game binary of the original.)

Using this conversion, time limits could be converted as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a system i'd love to see once the mighty new save format comes along.

Set operating months for your park.

For example, "April to Oktober"

once the game hits Nov. 1st, the park goes into "Off-Season" removing all guests, where then you have time till the next April to fix it up, do maintenance on the rides and stuff.

You can kinda roleplay this allready by just closing the park and rides for a while. However Guests will take ages to leave if you don't use cheats.

Edited by NightHawk