Avast Antivirus thinks launcher is suspicious

Personally I'm not a fan of them, and I usually don't really need them. But there are these times that I on a somewhat risky site and I'd rather be sure than safe. Now lately my other antivirus (Avira) has been kind of slow on all fronts that it was unbearable to use, thus I changed. The one I installed, Avast,  is being a bit of a goof though, as it thinks OpenRCT2 launcher is suspicious. Even though I'll probably easily find a way to go around this problem, I'd still like to notify of this problem occuring as there might be a way to get rid of this. (Though I'm completely stupid at this front, so sorry if I said so even though it's very hard)

--------------------------------

What the dang program says about the program that is so suspicious:

Pad: C:\Users\*COMPUTERNAME*\Documents\OpenRCT2\bin\openrtc2.exe

File Size: 146,0 KB

--------------------------------

PS. ALSO YES, I am kinda back as I only have 2 exams and I do have a bit more time on my hand than expected.

Edited by Wuis

I believe that there have been two topics on this, but basically Avast's new virus detector thinks that OpenRCT2 behaves like some viruses.  I recommend emailing them and complaining about it.  In the meantime, you can go into your settings to exempt OpenRCT2. 

• Like 1

I got the warning too. When you get the warning just click "show details" and then choose "I trust this file". When I did that a few days later I got a notice that they analysed the file and agreed that it's harmless. 

• Like 1

Oii, I'm sorry. I forgot the use of the search function. Problem I fixed myself the way Cascadia said as trusting OpenRCT2 wasn't enough to be able to actually play some. (Well, I hardly did mainly watched through some parks)

• Like 1

With Avast, I had to do this: Run Launcher and wait for the update until the the Play button lights up. Then I suspend Avast for a few seconds, Launch the game, and when the main menu screen appears, I cancel the suspend. Or you do what cascadia mentioned.

Edited by SpiffyJack
  • Like 1

@Broxzier. I understand that..when I had the issue, I could start the updated downloaded version or ORCT2 (hardcopy) with no issues. Yet using the launcher to update and than start the game, I would get the message that Avast is running a quick check because the file mentioned above could be unsafe.. mean while it restricts the network and their abort option doesn't quite abort as fast as it should,  thus typically followed by a message that the file has been submitted for approval and theyll send the status report. But if you bypass the anti virus at prior to executing the exe. File it works good.. just sharing my experience with Avast.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...