Quick Assets Question

Hi guys! I compiled OpenRCT2 from source on my linux computer and now I need help with moving the asset files from the original RCT2 game. I downloaded the installer from gog and I already used innoextract to extract all the files. Now I want to place the asset files in the right place. I read this page:

https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Required-RCT2-files

and it says "If you place those files in the OpenRCT2 folder, it should automatically detect them." Do I place the actual files directly in the OpenRCT2 directory or do I put the folders (i.e.. Data, ObjData, Scenarios) in the OpenRCT2 directory? I'm wondering this because I don't want to spill a lot of files (772 for object data alone) directly into a directory if I don't have to.  Thanks!

Edited by drjbananas
grammar
  • Like 1

Easiest way is to point orct2 to your rct2 installation (it will ask you to do so when you run the game). If you really want to copy files, copy everything that you want to have in orct2, which likely includes the entire objdata folder. Read the wiki for more information.

• Like 2

@drjbananas there's no need to copy the assets over. We can consume them from wherever you have them. It will be used in read-only mode, all of openrct2 assets (e.g. saves, CSO, etc.) will be stored in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/OpenRCT2, or in lack of $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, it will fall back to ~/.config/OpenRCT2. The path to game will get stored in config.ini, but you can override it with one of the commandline options.

We also have AUR package (maintained by third party) and some others.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, janisozaur said:

@drjbananas there's no need to copy the assets over. We can consume them from wherever you have them. It will be used in read-only mode, all of openrct2 assets (e.g. saves, CSO, etc.) will be stored in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/OpenRCT2, or in lack of $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, it will fall back to ~/.config/OpenRCT2. The path to game will get stored in config.ini, but you can override it with one of the commandline options.

We also have AUR package (maintained by third party) and some others.

@janisozaur Thanks for the reply! I don't know if I'm using the right terminology for assets. I meant the files form the original RCT2 game like Data, ObjData, Scenarios. Are those also the ones you are talking about?