WingRider, RMC IBox, Zacspin, Dive

Ok I'm new to this page I've only posted once, to say hi. I've played a lot of RCT2 in my days and love to do all the custom stuff. But who can school me about these Custom style rides. Also rides like SkyRush, Gerstlauer Spinners, and all of the new styles that were made LONG after this game. I've searched online, Google New Element and TPR and others and I've seen some of these done. Some of these were done with the old 8Cars or SonOfBeast but how do these work in OpenRCT2?? Also I'm buying a used computer specifically for RCT2. I'm looking at Windows7 laptops and desktops but I know nothing about computers. What are the most important specs to get it going and going good?? What GB for ram is enough? What os will allow me to play? Thanks all

• Like 1

Custom objects are placed either in OpenRCT2/objects or in your vanilla ObjData folder. If you still play vanilla at all, I'd recommend the latter so you can use the objects with vanilla, otherwise, putting everything in your OpenRCT2 folder keeps your vanilla install clean.

2 hours ago, RCT2Tyler said:

I've searched online, Google New Element and TPR and others

Unfortunately, there isn't a centralized place for this stuff like OpenTTD has, so it's quite common for newcomers to ask where to find custom objects. RCT2 is a very old game, so many of the sites that originally hosted the objects are down. Because objects export with the park, they can continue to be distributed and used long after the original download is dead.

If you're looking for something specific, New Element is still the best place to look. I did make some improvements recently to make it slightly less painful to use, but you still have to download objects individually so I would not recommend it for downloading a complete set. Instead, the best advice is to download a bunch of parks (or connect to servers) and see what you get. As a starting point, I'd recommend the Xtreme97 workbench (other workbenches exist).

Several of the rides you mention sound like rides I've made - you can get those here. Not all of these are in the NE database  (NE doesn't add objects to their database until they are used in a park). I do not know where to find a Gerstlauer spinner or ZacSpin, and the latter is a very hard ride to make. You can ask in the custom scenery exchange at NE, many of those guys have been playing for years and if they don't have a copy of the object you're looking for, they may be able to name a park that has it.

Some of these were done with the old 8Cars or SonOfBeast but how do these work in OpenRCT2??

They don't. However, most of the functionality that those trainers had is provided by OpenRCT2 anyway, so this isn't a major problem. You can open parks hacked with 8Cars in OpenRCT2, so some people still use vanilla to perform these hacks - but this is restrictive, because not all OpenRCT2 features are compatible with vanilla and there's now very little you can do with 8Cars that you can't do with OpenRCT2.

What are the most important specs to get it going and going good?

It's a game from 2002, almost anything will be good enough. The bulk of the CPU time is spent rendering (the game is software rendered), so I expect your CPU would be the biggest factor. I don't think it requires that much RAM - most of the game's data structures have hard caps on their size - though there are several megabytes of sprites to load in. The game can run on a Raspberry Pi - performance won't be great but you could play it.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for all of that information!! I do have one question though, what do you mean when you say Vanilla??? I'm thinking you mean the original RCT2 disk but I'm not sure what you mean I've never heard that term before some of these recent posts on this site... Yes the only way I ever got custom content was by downloading those amazing parks.  I've never done the .dat files but I'm sure it's not hard I just don't know how.. I have the Triple thrill pack and it would be nice to delete some scenery objects because it comes with soo many 

Thanks guys you've helped me a lot. Now That you answered that question I have just one more question, or 2 😂

Would RCT2 Triple Thrill pack be considered "Vannila" because it does have the 2 expansion packs?? 

And when you play OpenRCT is it like a separate thing from RCT2 with disk?? I read that RCT could possibly transfer to OpenRCT. That should be all of My questions, for now haha. Once I get this computer I can share my stuff, but I can't help with the tech stuff..

Also, I'm sure somebody has someway to make and invisible entrance and exit hut!! I've never gotten that one to work

39 minutes ago, RCT2Tyler said:

Would RCT2 Triple Thrill pack be considered "Vannila" because it does have the 2 expansion packs??

Usually WW/TT expansions are not considered part of the vanilla game. However, in the context that X7123M3-256 used it in, WW/TT can me considered part of the "vanilla" install files.

47 minutes ago, RCT2Tyler said:

And when you play OpenRCT is it like a separate thing from RCT2 with disk??

The RCT2 disc is not needed to play OpenRCT2, you only need some of the install files. There's a list of the required install files on the OpenRCT2 Github's wiki.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, RCT2Tyler said:

Thanks guys you've helped me a lot. Now That you answered that question I have just one more question, or 2 😂

And when you play OpenRCT is it like a separate thing from RCT2 with disk?? I read that RCT could possibly transfer to OpenRCT. That should be all of My questions, for now haha. Once I get this computer I can share my stuff, but I can't help with the tech stuff..

Also, I'm sure somebody has someway to make and invisible entrance and exit hut!! I've never gotten that one to work

Yes, the Triple Thrill Pack is considered vanilla.

If you have both RCT2 and OpenRCT2 on your computer, you don't have to use the disk.  Here is a list of the exact required files from RCT2: https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Required-RCT2-files

OpenRCT2 has invisible entrance huts- it's in the ride options for every ride.

There is a HUGE selection of objects in this VERY LARGE file:

If you prefer to browse, the archive.org version of the old RCTMart site has a lot of downloads:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160311184826/http://rctmart.com/

• Like 1