Trains... Lots of trains

SpiffyJack

I need to clarify when I say Grand Opening. I typically only build parks from my own from scratch. I start with a map and then build the entire park (up to 75 percent) and then, I allow to open the park. At that point I let the park run for 10 years untouched, Usually at that point if the park lives, then it will never die...And if it fails, I lost my own game...  lol... crazy I am I am... 

I think the park is now at 60% +/- with 30% reserved to big iron and 10% cosmetics...  excluding stalls.. lols..  

But at this point I hire the park squad, connect the crap, make the shi**y, not so shi**y... 

I challenge a few of you out there to make this scenario a winner... 

:D 

Edited by SpiffyJack
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 00:27, cascadia said:

You should check out the New Element site, then. ;)

I became a member at New Element a few days ago, and still waiting for validation... is this normal with NE? I can't even post this question or others like why can I change my profile pic, or anything else in my profile for that matter. I can't do nuttin... :/  

1 hour ago, SpiffyJack said:

I became a member at New Element a few days ago, and still waiting for validation... is this normal with NE? I can't even post this question or others like why can I change my profile pic, or anything else in my profile for that matter. I can't do nuttin... :/  

Yes, the mods can be slow at times.  If this continues, ask someone else you know on New Element to ask the mods about it.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I'm thinking of trying to reduce some content in hopes to complete the last 7-10 percent but completely undecided as far as the best way to go about it. Maybe I can get some input here. Some of you already kinda know I build from the inside out and most of my buildings aren't just building, but contain a lot of stuff inside. So looking from the outside you see a park that makes neat screen shots but on the inside, there's an entire city... ok. I ask myself at this point ( because i've never maxed a file) 'should i gut the inside as needed to complete the outside which really is non productive i agree, or are there some tricks that will keep me from re-producing in the future, yet finish the part and still be able to call it 'Complete'... or do i stop trying to be impatient :D  

* If I cut away map areas, will I reduce my count enough to be beneficial?

** Is there a formula so how much space is released per certain custom objects vs. having many ncso crammed into the same area? ie: i use bounding boxes and segment heights all the time to see how objects are clipping and such (its also a great way to build a 3d grid... lil tip there)

*** When content is removed from file, is that content actually purged from the file or does the file keep a cache that can ultimately be purged? i've wondered that for a while now.

input and opinions much appreciated.

2 hours ago, SpiffyJack said:

should i gut the inside as needed to complete the outside which really is non productive i agree,

A lot of people don't place objects where they aren't visible. But with the cutaway view in OpenRCT2, people can actually view the inside, so you might want to keep if you've already built it. If you do remove it, that will free up some space.

If you've hit the object data limit and don't want to delete stuff, then there are a couple of things I can think of that you could try:

• Merge groups of quarter-tile scenery objects into one. For example, instead of building a floor from four quarter tile blocks, you could replace them with one full tile block. A similar thing applies for supports, fences. If you have any repeated units built from scenery, making them one object could save on map data. I see, for example, that you have quite a few tiles containing four quarter-tile bushes, so making a full tile object with four bushes might save slots.
  • Delete the terrain on tiles that are entirely covered with scenery (like custom land blocks) or paths. This includes any areas you've hidden with black tiles. Note that this is tedious to reverse, so I'd only do it if when you're otherwise finished with the area. It also won't get you that many slots.
  • Path objects don't take object slots (as far as I know). If you have any scenery objects that could be made path objects (unlikely, to be honest), then you could potentially save space by converting them.
3 hours ago, SpiffyJack said:

Is there a formula so how much space is released per certain custom objects vs. having many ncso crammed into the same area?

Scenery objects contain (or should contain) one map element per tile occupied. So small scenery objects are always one map element, large scenery objects can vary based on the size.

3 hours ago, SpiffyJack said:

*** When content is removed from file, is that content actually purged from the file or does the file keep a cache that can ultimately be purged? i've wondered that for a while now.

No, there is no edit history stored in the file (which is why there is no undo functionality). If you want to keep the original version of the file around, save a seperate backup (which is probably advisable if you plan on deleting stuff).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

A lot of people don't place objects where they aren't visible. But with the cutaway view in OpenRCT2, people can actually view the inside, so you might want to keep if you've already built it. If you do remove it, that will free up some space.

If you've hit the object data limit and don't want to delete stuff, then there are a couple of things I can think of that you could try:

• Merge groups of quarter-tile scenery objects into one. For example, instead of building a floor from four quarter tile blocks, you could replace them with one full tile block. A similar thing applies for supports, fences. If you have any repeated units built from scenery, making them one object could save on map data. I see, for example, that you have quite a few tiles containing four quarter-tile bushes, so making a full tile object with four bushes might save slots.
  • Delete the terrain on tiles that are entirely covered with scenery (like custom land blocks) or paths. This includes any areas you've hidden with black tiles. Note that this is tedious to reverse, so I'd only do it if when you're otherwise finished with the area. It also won't get you that many slots.
  • Path objects don't take object slots (as far as I know). If you have any scenery objects that could be made path objects (unlikely, to be honest), then you could potentially save space by converting them.

Scenery objects contain (or should contain) one map element per tile occupied. So small scenery objects are always one map element, large scenery objects can vary based on the size.

No, there is no edit history stored in the file (which is why there is no undo functionality). If you want to keep the original version of the file around, save a seperate backup (which is probably advisable if you plan on deleting stuff).

@X7123M3-256 thanks for the input! I went into the park and evaluated the situation just using your info and additional common sense and thinking I wouldn't be doing myself any favors. So now another option I have is to literally vaporize specific areas of the park and release as 'complete', yet when the time comes I'll have the ability to introduce "newly constructed areas" almost like a cut and paste kinda deal. I have close to 250 versions to ease the reverse time traveling. hhhhm. Additional thoughts are always welcome.

As for interiors, keep some, get rid of others. For the ones you keep, cutaway the roof and allow people to view it without cutaway view. That will save some objects. 

X7123M3-256 highlighted a lot of other good object saving techniques too. There's a good tutorial image about object saving by Liampie somewhere, but I can't find it right now. If i do, I'll post it here.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, saxman1089 said:

As for interiors, keep some, get rid of others. For the ones you keep, cutaway the roof and allow people to view it without cutaway view. That will save some objects. 

X7123M3-256 highlighted a lot of other good object saving techniques too. There's a good tutorial image about object saving by Liampie somewhere, but I can't find it right now. If i do, I'll post it here.

The roofs is a good point.  I can go the courtyard route so to speak. For years i've been asking myself if the screenshots or actual mechanically sound parks were more desirable? I guess a good mix. I'll have to give a up a little bit of each. I've never entered a park for judging, it would be nice to just post stuff but maybe not? i don't know.