paths randomly disconnecting?

Hi - i've been lurking on your forums for a little while now, mainly stealing your ideas :ph34r: but not needed to post until now.

I've recently started having issues where my paths are randomly disconnecting from stalls and rides and wondered if anyone else has experienced this?? I've had a queue line go so badly wrong I had to delete the whole line and move the ride entrance to make it work. Then food and drink stalls toilet blocks and information all seemed to disconnect. At first i thought maybe it was the pretty coloured custom path id used so i rebuilt with the basic dirt path but the same thing happened :(

Is it just me? :$ or is this something that needs to be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Do you use the "zero clearance" cheat often? If yes, that's your problem. Usually, I have issues having queue lines and regular paths because for some reason, it likes to mess up. I have to either delete the whole path and turn ZC off and then redo them.

If this is not your problem, then someone else can help you. Should you still have problems, go over to GitHub and take your insight there.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, BlazingEmpireHD said:

Do you use the "zero clearance" cheat often? If yes, that's your problem. Usually, I have issues having queue lines and regular paths because for some reason, it likes to mess up. I have to either delete the whole path and turn ZC off and then redo them.

thanks for your reply! but No, ive not used any cheats at all (don't even know how to!). Just a small amount of custom scenery.

ok heres my save file. My rides are all broken and my mechanics cant fix them because the ride exits dont join to the paths. no idea whats happened by corkscrew i definitely put a path there! and the exit path for catseyes reached the ground on both ends the last time i looked! you can see which bits ive tried to fix by using a standard path, sometimes it works others it doesn't. thanks for looking!

50x50.sv6

ps the only custom stuff ive used in this one is the blue path and queue line...

Edited by DollyMixedUpWoman
  • Like 1

It's possible that there's a glitch in your software, but it also may be that you are "painting" over your que/exit lines. You have to be sure your entire cue line is in fact made from a "que" path (the one on the right of the two path's you're given under "footpaths"). The path on the left is an "exit" or normal "walking" path which a ride's exit should be entirely made of. All you have to do to change a path is simply click on or "paint" it and it will automatically change to what is "selected" in "paths".

Sometimes, to prevent this from happening, you will be forced to select "construct bridge or tunnel footpath" at the bottom right of the paths menu -which i just noticed is misleadingly labeled because this is not all that this feature does-, this feature also allows you to construct a path (que or normal) block by block by clicking the yellow arrow direction keys under direction in the "footpaths" menu. Mastering this skill is very important. You will find that it teaches you about other things too. Try it out.

Edited by joshmarsilio
  • Like 1

I have found your problem. Your ride exits don't fully connect to the path. I had this same problem.

Compare the exits at the ferris wheel and space rings. Notice the path leading to the exit of the ferris wheel has a small tab pointing at the exit and the path to space rings does not. If you open your path tool and place a path on top of the one at the exit to space rings you will see the change. In its current state the old path was connected to allow peeps to exit the ride but it doesn't allow mechanics access. This is something that has changed from previous versions. When you place a new ride ALWAYS place a new path at its exit.

PS: I would add at least 2 more mechanics, they not only fix rides they also perform maintenance based on what schedule you have set up (default is 30 mins).

Edited by CharlieP
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I know the last reply was more than one month ago, but i also wanted to add:

You can accidentally delete paths and objects when you are scrolling the map with the right mouse button. If the courser or "mouse cursor" is anything but the white hand pointing with the pointer finger: ex. (shovel, bulldozer target, object placer etc...), then the right mouse button will act as a scroll tool and a deletion tool at the same time. Every time you hold and move the map with the right mouse button, you are at risk of deleting whatever is under the mouse pointer unless the mouse is the standard white pointer finger.

Be sure you press the "escape button (esc)" on your keyboard after editing and just before you are about to move the map around.

That's not true, right-mouse click actions are triggered only when the mouse button is released, and only if there's been a very short timespan since the right mouse button has been pressed. If you're experiencing objects being removed while scrolling through the map, you are either really fast at scrolling, or your right mouse button is not working properly.

The relevant code: https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/blob/1ae2ca54f72a48b1f56aac9ac7fab9c5f3dea43e/src/input.c#L340-L346

As far as I know Escape does nothing, but I might be wrong there. For me it opens the options menu since I've remapped my keybindings.

It is true. If the cursor is in any mode other than the standard pointing finger, then a single right mouse click will delete whatever the mouse is over, but if you press and hold the right mouse button carefully to move the map usually the underlying object will not be deleted. This was a problem for me until i got used to using the "esc" button (which gets you out of shovel, bulldozer, path, etc) to go back to the pointing finger cursor, when i was done editing and wanted to move the map.

Edited by joshmarsilio
6 hours ago, joshmarsilio said:

You can accidentally delete paths and objects when you are scrolling the map with the right mouse button.

Then I misunderstood, what you're saying is the default behaviour that has been in the game since RCT1.

The Escape key does not close your current tool, nor does it do anything else by default. You must have remapped the close-active-window key to be Escape.

Edited by Broxzier

I made this reply today for the sake of the user who created this post. She said she finds random pieces of path missing during her game play and she doesn't understand why, so i thought just recently; maybe the right mouse dragging is what's causing her problem. She may never sign on again or read this here reply, but i just thought today that this may be the cause of her problem. As for me, in my version of rct2 (i do not have or use rct1) the "esc" key does get me out of any cursor sub-mode such as path, shovel, etc.. I did not "remap" anything that i am aware of, it has always been this way. I had to learn to use "esc" more often over time so i could avoid doing just that: erasing random path's and objects with the right mouse button.

Now when i am playing, my left hand is almost always resting by the left side  esc key.

Edited by joshmarsilio
  • Like 2