Sneak Preview of Official 0.0.5 Title Sequence

The 0.0.5 release is in its final weeks of development before the stable version, and with each version is a new title sequence. Like the last release, I am the one in charge of the title sequence. There are a few things to wrap up before the title sequence is completely done, but I thought I would post the title sequence here early as a sneak preview. Download the title sequence here and put it in your \OpenRCT2\title sequences\ folder, and select it from the wrench tab in the options menu.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

That's a quite long intro, I heard the song three times before it started over (may be because of some lag). I did watch it in a maximized window without any scaling, and must say you picked good spots. Most of it had empty areas around the points of focus, but with a normal scale you would not notice. The only thing that seemed off to me is the wooden coaster somewhere in the beginning, where there's a diagonal track going towards the camera. You can't see the height differences there at all, making it strange to see the train suddenly drop. Maybe you can rotate the view 90 degrees here?

Another thing (and I know some others did ask for this too in the gitter chat a while ago): The sequence starts off with a loud launched freefall sound, and a coaster with screaming guests right away. This is not very pleasend on the ears. Maybe you can try and replace the beginning with a shot of an entrance or easy rides area.

The title sequence is written to last two complete music loops on my computer, and is only slightly longer than the 0.0.4 intro. With the woodie, I don't want there to be two shots nearby without a camera rotation, so that people with large resolutions don't say, "hey, this barely changed!" so I have the rotation. The other two possible rotations would put the trains going the opposite direction or would have the same problem. It's the lesser evil.

With the sequence start, I can change the timing of the rides so that the freefall isn't going when the sequence starts. The screaming thing, though, I predict it will be the "change it, oh wait it sucks, change it back" kind of thing, so I'm not going to budge on showing the roller coaster first. Amusement parks are supposed to be exciting, and the intro is designed to reflect that.

Also, on the topic of long intros, watch the Loopy Landscapes intro.

Edited by Spacek
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Spacek said:

With the sequence start, I can change the timing of the rides so that the freefall isn't going when the sequence starts. The screaming thing, though, I predict it will be the "change it, oh wait it sucks, change it back" kind of thing, so I'm not going to budge on showing the roller coaster first. Amusement parks are supposed to be exciting, and the intro is designed to reflect that.

The problem with this is that the RCT2 title music starts off with a fairly empty feeling, which makes sense given that the original intro showed a barren park entry, with guests coming and going, during the beginning, before going into the proper thrills the user could experience.

Most amusement parks do not start with the exciting attractions right at the beginning though (thinking of Six Flags, Tivoli, Efteling, Ponypark Slagharen, Disney parks), but with smaller rides getting you into the park. Starting with loud sounds is also not very good user experience, think of people having upped their volume for something, then starting the game while having headphones on without realizing it's still upped. By starting soft you give them the chance to adjust real quick - this can be only 3 seconds if you want.

5 minutes ago, Broxzier said:

Starting with loud sounds is also not very good user experience, think of people having upped their volume for something, then starting the game while having headphones on without realizing it's still upped.

The music itself not being affected by any sound options already does that, the only way to turn down the music on the title screen is too lower your PC volume, or disable the title music alltogether.

Out of curiousity I recorded the sneak peak's sound levels with the default settings, once with only music, and once with only sound effects enabled. I recorded both stereo channels and then overlapped them with each other. The result (first 9 seconds):

95rdtWT.png

Green represents the music, red represents the sound effects. Interestingly the right side will be a lot louder in the first few seconds. What worries me most is that the sound effects are dominating the background music. Just ti give you an idea, here's the same image, but with the sound effects on top of the background music:

YATdl4F.png

In my opinion this is too much, the background music should be the leading audio factor in the title sequence, not the sound effects.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in mucking about with that because:

• I think the balance and levels are just fine.
  • There is an ample 3.5 seconds to change the volume.
  • When sounds are loud, time dilates, so it's actually longer than 3.5 seconds.
  • I disagree with you about the purpose of sound in the title sequence. The point of the title sequence is to show off theme parks with music in the background, not to show off music with theme parks in the background.

If it's too much, please make a feature request. 

As for the balance...

RtlF1qE.jpg

Edited by Spacek
  • 3 months later...

They are included with the game. You have to have the park in order for the game to show it; if it's missing then it just displays an empty map. Title sequences go in the 'title sequences' directory rather than the 'save' directory and I think they're zipped (it's difficult to check because I'm missing the title sequence for some reason).

• Like 1