Anti-spam measures

As you may have noticed we've been getting a lot of Chinese spam the last couple of days. The spammers bypass the CAPTCHA and have realistic looking email addresses.

Starting from today all new members need at least 1 approved post before their content shows. Plus we've hardened our other anti-spam measurements.

Thanks.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, YoloSweggLord said:

Why don't we just ban posts containing to many non-english characters?

Requires filters etc I presume, and also, what if someone use a lot of different characters on the forum which could trigger a false positive - For example, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Right Yolo? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by Nubbie
Just now, Nubbie said:

Requires filters etc I presume, and also, what if someone use a lot of different characters in the chat which could trigger a false positive - For example, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Right Yolo? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes but who's really gonna make a post with that many lennys? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, YoloSweggLord said:

I can't see those topics, but they're showing up as unread on the forums front page, meaning that it looks like there's unread posts in that topic while I can't access said topic.

This is what I mean:

spam....PNG

It's quite irritating as I would like to see what is and isn't read so I can stay on top of the forums, so to speak.

55 minutes ago, YoloSweggLord said:

Yes but who's really gonna make a post with that many lennys? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

A filter which filters relatively would be better. For example posts with over 10% non-english characters get filtered.

this would have been an easy edit with the old custom (openrct.net) forum code but Im not sure how to do such thing with IPBoard.

1 hour ago, imlegos said:

In all seriousness, I still don't understand why a spambot is attacking us with Chinese advertisements for American collages

It's probably a person who isn't doing it to advertise - but to 'troll'

The text doesn't seem to advertise much, instead talk about collages copied from websites and posted here

2 hours ago, imlegos said:

"Words can not express how much I hate China right now" - Soldier

In all seriousness, I still don't understand why a spambot is attacking us with Chinese advertisements for American collages, on a forum site that would register as English...

29 minutes ago, Nubbie said:

It's probably a person who isn't doing it to advertise - but to 'troll'

The text doesn't seem to advertise much, instead talk about collages copied from websites and posted here

I believe it has links to a college admissions help service.  Also, posting spam on an active forum helps them increase their Google rank temporarily.

4 hours ago, cascadia said:

Also, posting spam on an active forum helps them increase their Google rank temporarily.

Until Google finds out, in which case their website will be removed and blacklisted from all searches. Search engines give a domain a higher score when a lot of sites link to it, so they have been fighting people abusing their rating system by using linkfarms since forever.

33 minutes ago, imlegos said:

How many people here use chinese characters?

Almost none do as English seems to be the native one- but what I mean is banning one word that are being said in every spam mail which could be 'diploma, University, labourlawenhancment' (In chiniese of course) or any other letter that is just being said in every spam post