There's a virus in OpenRCT2

50 minutes ago, Syberiyxx said:

Scanning OpenRCT2 files with Microsoft, McAfee, and Comodo produce no positives, and besides, this is a popular open source project where the many, many devs would spot any attempts to insert in viruses into the code right away.  If these are real results, they are false positives or viruses from another source.

• Like 1

If you've recently got a virus, it is highly unlikely it came from OpenRCT2, as others have said. If you're basing this entirely on the warning from your antivirus, be aware that false positives are a thing and can be quite common, you may not have a virus at all. However, if you are concerned, build the game from source - it is much harder to get malicious source code into the reposititory and have it go unnoticed than if the binaries had been compromised, and you can inspect the source yourself to verify its integrity.

Edited by X7123M3-256
  • Like 1

I'm sorry mate, but if OpenRCT2 had given me a virus, I would have immediatly uninstalled it. I never ever have gotten any sort of virus from OpenRCT2, EVER. There is just too many reasons why this 'virus' came not from OpenRCT2. 

Honestly, if viruses were involved, I don't think anyone could give two quacks about OpenRCT2. 

However, it could be possible that you took or downloaded items that are buggy and cause viruses. Likely, something you have downloaded in OpenRCT2 is causing a virus. I swear to all things holy, you DID NOT get a virus from here. Haha Where ever you got it, NOT from here, could be causing issues if you have downloaded OpenRCT2 or even RCT2 from any shifty sites. Once more, NOT HERE. You must be careful when you're downloading new things. If you aren't, you get viruses. 

And who wants viruses? Not me.

Edited by BlazingEmpireHD
  • Like 1

I could have. I know I did sound harsh, and I am sorry about that. But, hear me out, it kind of sounded like he was blaming us without ever following up on the site, or even checking if there was anything else that proved it was a virus from OpenRCT2, or one of the devs. He just joined, and bam, 'you're making viruses.' 

I don't always mean to sound harsh or too critical, but, whenever I do, I try my best to at least apologise. If he came on and just did not realise that maybe it's not our faults, then it's an easy mistake. We all make mistakes, I make mistakes. Hell, I made mistakes earlier with me sounding snarky, and I am probably doing the same here. It is my bad. Honestly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JarnoVgr said:

It were clearly false-positives. I've checked the build mentioned in the opening post and it's clean: https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/0f1c068182f90c52f4833a5223efaa35c0da4de0b6115d00a5307f19ba4db203/analysis/1473577721/

The names of the AVs that reported the false-positives are not big brands in the AV world anyways.

Honestly, I am still unsure why his device pulled us up as 3/whatever it was. Like I said before, he might have downloaded it from a shifty site. I still don't believe that it would be from this site.