Which coaster is hardest for you to build with?

Definitely the multi dimensional. The only time I build one of those is when I want to make a SkyLoop and switch in the lay down trains and add a chain lift to the vertical and half loop sections, since multi dimensional is the only coaster that has the necessary track pieces to make the ride possible.

• Like 1

I have never ridden a 4D coaster in real life so I don't build them as often as the others, but not because they are hard to build. I avoid the heartline coaster too because they mostly just crash without an obvious reason.

The harder coasters to build are the inverted ones, because they take up 50% more vertical space.

Few of the default rides are hard to build with when they're used to represent the rides they're intended to represent (rather than as a stand in for a ride not in the game), but one that stands out is the Air Powered Vertical coaster. It's missing basically all the track pieces, so the only layouts you can build are different sized versions of the track that comes with the game. It's true that Thrust Air coasters weren't much more than that, but the lack of even gentle slopes makes it hard to make it look good. I expect the one in the game is based on the prototype, where there were no gradients apart from the top hat and the curves were flat on the ground.

Another obvious one is the heartline twister coaster - no elevator lift means you can't build a realistic layout at all. Even with hacks it's difficult to make work well.

23 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Few of the default rides are hard to build with when they're used to represent the rides they're intended to represent (rather than as a stand in for a ride not in the game), but one that stands out is the Air Powered Vertical coaster. It's missing basically all the track pieces, so the only layouts you can build are different sized versions of the track that comes with the game. It's true that Thrust Air coasters weren't much more than that, but the lack of even gentle slopes makes it hard to make it look good. I expect the one in the game is based on the prototype, where there were no gradients apart from the top hat and the curves were flat on the ground.

Another obvious one is the heartline twister coaster - no elevator lift means you can't build a realistic layout at all. Even with hacks it's difficult to make work well.

That is completely true. I find that the Air Powered RC trains were originally designed to go upside down. I have used an Air-Powered train on Twister Track - made the loop with no graphic issues at all.

Also I actually like building 4D coasters. It is challenging yes, but if done right it looks pretty cool!

The Heartline Twister coaster is a bit difficult to work with (limited elements available). For the park I am building at the moment, I have merged it with LIM coaster track so it can turn and do immelmann type elements (for example). 

I don't know why but Heartline coasters look the coolest for me and I end up building one when I'm building a park almost all of the time.

Just now, DaKoasterNerd said:

That is completely true. I find that the Air Powered RC trains were originally designed to go upside down. I have used an Air-Powered train on Twister Track - made the loop with no graphic issues at all.

They weren't designed to go upside down and neither were the real ones. However, an interesting quirk of the game is that any ride that has sprites for vertical slopes must also have sprites for vertical loops. So those sprites were rendered but apparently never intended to be used. An even more extreme example is the reverse freefall coaster - it has sprites for turns, sloped turns, steep turns, verticals and loops, but it can't do any turns or loops. It has hundreds of sprites and only uses a small fraction of them. I don't know why they bothered rendering these sprites instead of just leaving them blank, but those images have to be present in the file in order to have the vertical slopes.

Just now, DaKoasterNerd said:

The Heartline Twister coaster is a bit difficult to work with (limited elements available). For the park I am building at the moment, I have merged it with LIM coaster track so it can turn and do immelmann type elements (for example). 

TOGO pipeline coasters don't turn. They're also pipeline coasters - they wouldn't be able to run on traditional coaster track, hence the unusual tubular track design. All but one is a stock layout, though there is one with a dive loop in place of one of the reversing sections. They're limited in game because they're limited in real life, but they're even more limited in game than they are IRL. The real ones have a vertical elevator lift to start the ride - since this can't be done in game and you don't even have a vertical slope with which to fake it, you'd have to use a track merge just to make a realistic layout.

I also like building 4D coasters - one of the most interesting designs to work with for certain. However, the real life layouts are very large, all very similar, and difficult to do well in game, which doesn't give a lot of flexibility, so I usually build mine based on the Arrow concept layouts instead of the designs actually found in parks today. They're smaller, more practical, and have more diverse layouts so you can do things like put a raven turn straight off the lift hill. I wish one had been built.

Edited by X7123M3-256
3 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

TOGO pipeline coasters don't turn. They're also pipeline coasters - they wouldn't be able to run on traditional coaster track, hence the unusual tubular track design. All but one is a stock layout, though there is one with a dive loop in place of one of the reversing sections. They're limited in game because they're limited in real life, but they're even more limited in game than they are IRL. The real ones have a vertical elevator lift to start the ride - since this can't be done in game and you don't even have a vertical slope with which to fake it, you'd have to use a track merge just to make a realistic layout.

Yes I know about the real TOGO ones but I wanted to do more of an Arrow Pipeline coaster.

I think the pipeline coaster looks better with turns. I believe that TOGO did infact get around the turning problem by simply banked the track at 90 degrees. I can't seem to find a picture anywhere but they went out of business before it could actually be built.

59 minutes ago, imlegos said:

ll coasters have full 360 degree rotation sprites for the ride vehicle tab in the ride window. However, I don't know why cheating these rides onto a turn would cause these sprites to be rendered.

Why wouldn't it? If a ride has sprites for a track piece, they will be rendered if you use it, regardless of whether the ride normally allows that track piece. All coasters have the flat turn sprites, since they include the flat track sprites which essentially everything requires. There isn't a single coaster in the game without that sprite group; I haven't tested what happens if you try to create a ride without it.

1 hour ago, DaKoasterNerd said:

I think the pipeline coaster looks better with turns. I believe that TOGO did infact get around the turning problem by simply banked the track at 90 degrees. I can't seem to find a picture anywhere but they went out of business before it could actually be built.

I don't know about that but I'd love to find out more if you have any information. I also think the pipeline coasters look pretty cool with turns. The Arrow version was in RCT3 but not RCT2. TOGO trains are a poor substitute IMO but I guess that's the best you can do.

I would definitely say stand-up is the hardest. You can't do too much otherwise it will get a very high rating. Although, I do agree with most that the 4D is hard. I think it's simple. Another up there would be inverted coasters. All of them. 

To get a decent inverted with 4 or more loops and several drops is more difficult than you think it is. It's even harder to get a double inverted to work. (2 different inverteds). I can get both to work, but it takes forever.

Top 5 Hardest Coasters: (imo)

1: Stand-up

2: 4D

3: Inverted Impulse

4: Wooden coasters

5: inverted coasters

Why I chose wooden coasters is because to get a long one with many drops is actually very hard. 

If they had added a long drop, it would be much easier, and lesser on the intensity factors.

30 minutes ago, BlazingEmpireHD said:

Why I chose wooden coasters is because to get a long one with many drops is actually very hard. 

If they had added a long drop, it would be much easier, and lesser on the intensity factors.

Yes, I agree with you. There should be a long drop and as you said, that would be less intense.

Talking about Woodie's, I wonder if it is possible to implement an RMC coaster type into OpenRCT?

That seriously would be the bomb!

Imagine an RMC in RCT2!

I imagine though, it would require a lot of work and could only be done when OIpenRCT no longer uses RCT2.

Maybe a future development perhaps?

We will have to wait and see.

I got good news for ye! There's actually a download where ya can get a really good RMC coaster!

If you have seen the Mack Coaster, the B&M wing, Intamin WIng, 8 and 10 wide dive coaster cars somewhere in the servers here, you can easily know that the same company has made a really good RMC coaster "mod"(?) 

Link!: http://x123m3-256.github.io/RCT2/CustomRides/

This directs to the site, and will give ya the opportunity to get all aforementioned and others.

Hope this helps @DaKoasterNerd^_^

• Like 1