Logging User Actions?

Last night on the Man of Teal server, I saw someone deleting rides, and immediately building scenery afterwards to avoid people detecting him.  Although I pointed it out and drove him off, it would be nice for server hosts and mods to have access to a log of user actions, to monitor users when they're away.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, newton27 said:

Why not contact me direct about this?

I now do not allow builders to "delete" rides anymore, if you want them removed the admins have to do it, and yes they can be removed by the builder but it is much harder and they tend to get caught doing it.

Didn't have the time then, unfortunately.

I will openly admit in my early days of aging multiplayer, I did exactly what was described in the initial post. Though in my defence it was only to get away with sorting out the less experienced builders when they botched paths or made incredibly unsightly scenery near one of my rides.

I don't continue that practice anymore of course, but if it was easy for someone as (mostly) honest and morally upstanding as me, it must be for those with nefarious intentions.

I agree that mods and admin should have access to lengthier lists of backlogged actions. My only concern is that if it's based on the current 'last action' feature we have, it would be too vague to decipher what happened. I mean could it not end up looking like:

Last action: Scenery, Scenery, Path, Build Ride, Scenery, Path, Remove Ride?

Whilst it could he possible to distinguish the culprit from this info it could still be a bit problematic if another user happened to also remove a ride and then continue on with other things. Then it's a case of do you as the host believe they players are truthful or know the whole story?

Perhaps if the list of actions had a timestamp on them to distinguish when they happened, it could clear up some of the confusion for those hosts willing to run a ship shape server.

That's my two pence on the matter anyway, I've rambled on enough for one night.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GrafterGaz said:

I will openly admit in my early days of aging multiplayer, I did exactly what was described in the initial post. Though in my defence it was only to get away with sorting out the less experienced builders when they botched paths or made incredibly unsightly scenery near one of my rides.

I don't continue that practice anymore of course, but if it was easy for someone as (mostly) honest and morally upstanding as me, it must be for those with nefarious intentions.

I agree that mods and admin should have access to lengthier lists of backlogged actions. My only concern is that if it's based on the current 'last action' feature we have, it would be too vague to decipher what happened. I mean could it not end up looking like:

Last action: Scenery, Scenery, Path, Build Ride, Scenery, Path, Remove Ride?

Whilst it could he possible to distinguish the culprit from this info it could still be a bit problematic if another user happened to also remove a ride and then continue on with other things. Then it's a case of do you as the host believe they players are truthful or know the whole story?

Perhaps if the list of actions had a timestamp on them to distinguish when they happened, it could clear up some of the confusion for those hosts willing to run a ship shape server.

That's my two pence on the matter anyway, I've rambled on enough for one night.

It should also tell you what ride was removed.

That's a great idea, @cascadia! However, I think they should add an undo button along with this log. 

If a ride, or scenery, whatever, was removed, a neat and tidy undo button would do the trick. Also, I see adding this feature could help us identify those who are griefing, and those that aren't. I haven't had much done to me in griefing, but some has happened. I know it could get very much worse. I haven't been able to start a server and test out all this on my own, but I could see the danger tobeheld  in it. 

You've definitely got a great idea, @cascadia! I hope this could happen someday! :) 

• Like 1