Portal Theming

I guess you mean specifically those arms that hold the tiles.

Totally. But I'm not sure how to go about this.

Should I then make them full tile object in stead of wall tiles? Or should I add the robotic arm as a separate object? And what about ground panels? I'd probably would have to make them twice as high if I'd add the arms below it.

So far I have floor tiles that are tiled 4x4 a tile and wall tiles that are 1x2. But I'll probably also make 2x2 and 1x1 tiles, so it matches the ones in the video. Making those is relatively easy.

1n2iNqe.png

• Like 1

Ah I get it. Well luckily slicing the walls up is easier than putting em together. How's this?

58af5891b81d8_2017-02-2322_47_05-OpenRCT2.png.8f50dede41694f97aa9ec59e67878df7.png

Also I tried making a wall with two remappable  colors. This way you can also have a black wall with white lines.

58af589668b5d_2017-02-2322_44_12-OpenRCT2.png.19a367c677b2589a65d4f226d86d8204.png

I could do this with every wall. But maybe having two remappable colors per wall/floor is too much?

Anyway: updated the pack, the one remappable wall is also in it, it's the one that's 1/4th high.

Make sure you delete any previous Portal objects, or else the group tab thingy might bug out. 

Portal_RCT2_Tune_V04.zip

This viking's off to bed now.

ZzzzZzzz

Edited by Tune
  • Like 2

@cascadia I can make that one easily too, but I don't see how it would really fit in. You'd basically get two small sideways rectangles that way. 

@YoloSweggLord I see what you mean. But the Portal wall textures aren't always perfectly smooth either. Take this room for example:

portal.jpg?w=720&cdnnode=1

I'm afraid that if I remove too many imperfections the wall will look kinda fake. :/ 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • 2 months later...

This is cool!!!

I just need to ask this.. why? Seriously no disrespect here. Is this part of animating scenery? Doors? Directing peeps? 

I read these posts and I still fail to see what the true purpose is,  but if it's something I can implement, I'm on board.

:D

• Like 1

It's more just trying to figure out how to make event based animated scenery, like the doors/portcullis walls. Mainly just for effect really. Though, if this can be found out, I wonder how long it would take for people to make event scenery like RCT3's.

Also, looking further up, I noticed some discussion about the cleanliness of the walls. What Tune's doing is clearly more P1 inspired then P2's reconstructed, which had the walls as a more laced-fabric type style then P1's moon surface style.

Also also, I noticed that Tune missed the 1 rectangle/8 squares full wall. (4 squares on the long sides of a rectangle)

Edited by imlegos
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, SpiffyJack said:

I just need to ask this.. why? Seriously no disrespect here. Is this part of animating scenery? Doors? Directing peeps? 

I read these posts and I still fail to see what the true purpose is,  but if it's something I can implement, I'm on board.

All I want is for ghost rides and tiny rollercoasters to be able to go through the portals without clipping issues. I don't really care about animating them. I should really get back on this project again. Would be fun to see what people could create with this set.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Tune said:

All I want is for ghost rides and tiny rollercoasters to be able to go through the portals without clipping issues. I don't really care about animating them. I should really get back on this project again. Would be fun to see what people could create with this set.

Interesting,  sounds cool!

16 hours ago, imlegos said:

It's more just trying to figure out how to make event based animated scenery, like the doors/portcullis walls. Mainly just for effect really. Though, if this can be found out, I wonder how long it would take for people to make event scenery like RCT3's.

There isn't really anything to figure out here. The only mechanism RCT2 has for animating scenery based on the passage of a ride is the doors - so that's how you do it. If the scenery item you're trying to make can't be made as a door, then it can't be done in RCT2.

A portal should be something you can make though - assuming you only need a few frames of animation.  Like flat rides, there are severe limitations and lots of things aren't possible - it's better to first look at what you have, and then think of things you can do with it.

For example, I think you could make TTD style traffic lights for launched coasters that change to green when the train launches. Manta style splash effects are also a possibility.  If you really wanted , you could use a shoestring to shift the trigger point (so it animates before or after the train actually passes) and remove the restriction that the scenery be placed directly on the track. With that, I reckon you could potentially make crude but working dive machine splashes, anti-rollbacks or fire effects. This might be getting into the realm of "you can technically do this but nobody is going to bother" however.

5 hours ago, Tune said:

If you want a train to go through and not glitch, it needs to be a door, regardless of whether it's animated. Door sprites are split into left and right halves precisely because they are intended for trains to pass through. Path banners are also split like this, but I don't think you can remove the scrolling text so a door is your best bet.

• Like 1

Portals would be nice, but I also want to see rotating-lock sliding doors that you see before and after tests. They would be great for darkride-style themeing!

EDIT: It's too early for me and I forgot about the doors in the previous screenshot. Do they actually function?

Edited by YoloSweggLord
1 hour ago, X7123M3-256 said:

If you want a train to go through and not glitch, it needs to be a door, regardless of whether it's animated. Door sprites are split into left and right halves precisely because they are intended for trains to pass through. Path banners are also split like this, but I don't think you can remove the scrolling text so a door is your best bet.

I get that I should make doors out of them, that's why I said:

On 2017-2-27 at 08:42, Tune said:

@X7123M3-256 I actually tried to make them into doors, but I couldn't really figure out how that worked. Opening existing door models into the object editor just made it crash, so also couldn't find an example. 

At least now I know how doors are made (vertical split) so I can try that out later.