Tips for making Custom Content

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2016 at 18:35, X7123M3-256 said:

I don't have any experience doing custom scenery (yet), but I've done a number of custom rides. I can give all the information I have if you need it. I have information on the format of the .DAT files (though the OpenRCT2 source code is by this point probably the best resource for this), the palette you need to use, the angle that the camera should be set at, the correct scale for the game, and all the angles that you need to render sprites at (for rides mainly ... with scenery there's only 4 angles)

Hey, any chance for some screenshots and/or downloads of your custom rides? I love looking at new rides that are made. Thanks.

Edited by TCE
9 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Downloads and screenshots for my rides are on this page. I will be aiming to get the Intamin LSM uploaded there later today, after I've finished tweaking the lighting to stop it looking oversaturated.

Unrealistic rides are placed on this page instead - I did not bother uploading screenshots of these.

Great stuff man, thanks. Looks awesome. Btw, do you still do custom rides? 

Yeah, I'm just finishing my next one off now. All that remains is to build a layout so I can take some screenshots of it, and then mess around with the lighting some more to decide if this is really the best I can get it, and then it will be uploaded either later today or potentially tomorrow now as I'm running out of time.

28 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Yeah, I'm just finishing my next one off now. All that remains is to build a layout so I can take some screenshots of it, and then mess around with the lighting some more to decide if this is really the best I can get it, and then it will be uploaded either later today or potentially tomorrow now as I'm running out of time.

Okay, thanks man. When you do upload, please tell me, I'll give it a download :) do you take requests? Have you ever tried to make a rhythm dancer ride? 

A rhythm dancer ride is technically possible - but most flat rides aren't, so I never really looked into them, and I did not implement support for them in my renderer (it would probably be very hard to do so, as every one is a special case). Also, the choice of rides to model is largely dictated by what I can find suitable reference images for - if I can't find at least one diagram, it's very hard to get anywhere with it.

16 minutes ago, X7123M3-256 said:

A rhythm dancer ride is technically possible - but most flat rides aren't, so I never really looked into them, and I did not implement support for them in my renderer (it would probably be very hard to do so, as every one is a special case). Also, the choice of rides to model is largely dictated by what I can find suitable reference images for - if I can't find at least one diagram, it's very hard to get anywhere with it.

No worries man, thanks again, keep up the good work :)