Any way to change "Save" directory?

To conserve space, I'd prefer to use the game data's folder (like the Infogrames folder which is on an external hard drive) to put my Saves as opposed to using the Documents folder on my main hard drive. However no matter what I do, the game always defaults to the Documents folder on my main hard drive as means of storing my saved games.

Is there a way I can alter which folder the game defaults to (and imports/copies to) my saves?

You can change the location of your documents folder entirely.

1. Go to your library, where you see the My Documents folder
  2. Rightclick My Documents, and go to the Location tab
  3. Browse/enter a path that's located on your other drive
  4. Click Move

If you don't want to move the entire documents folder, you could create a symlink from the save folder to the folder where you want them to be. Make sure to move all saved games to that folder first, then delete the save folder, and create a symlink instead.

7 hours ago, Broxzier said:

Rightclick My Documents, and go to the Location tab

I do not see any sort of "Location" tab on the dropdown menu that appears when I right click the My Documents folder from the "User" folder. That said, there isn't a way just to change the location where saved games are kept (either in the RCT2 install's files like vanilla RCT2 or the user's Documents folder)?

Whoops, forgot to say to click properties, then go to the location tab.

IlZwSPk.png

There is a way to 'change' the locaiton by making a symbolic link to this folder. every saved in your OpenRCT2/save folder will actually be saved in another location.

Edited by Broxzier

We also support an option to move all of your data elsewhere from default location.

./openrct2 --help
(…snip…)
    --user-data-path=<str>       path to the user data directory (containing config.ini)
    --openrct-data-path=<str>    path to the OpenRCT2 data directory (containing languages)
(…snip…)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 13/04/2016 at 09:12, Broxzier said:

You can change the location of your documents folder entirely.

1. Go to your library, where you see the My Documents folder
  2. Rightclick My Documents, and go to the Location tab
  3. Browse/enter a path that's located on your other drive
  4. Click Move

If you don't want to move the entire documents folder, you could create a symlink from the save folder to the folder where you want them to be. Make sure to move all saved games to that folder first, then delete the save folder, and create a symlink instead.

I know this thread is old, but just thought I'd reply for anyone who comes across the thread (like I did)

For anyone who wants to try this, this is how I did it:

1. Cut (Important to Cut not copy) the OpenRCT folder from My Documents to the new location (In my case I relocated it to Googledrive for "cloud" backup and also allows me to play on multiple platforms continuing the saved game)

2. Open command prompt, run in admin mode but I dont think its required

3. type mklink /J “%UserProfile%\Documents\OpenRCT2” “DRIVE:\LOCATION HERE\OpenRCT2”

Note: Replace DRIVE: with your drive and LOCATION HERE with the directory, if it's a network drive I think you have to use the mklink /D

Hope this helps others.