RCT2 For Mac?

There are instructions on the page I linked. It says you have to invoke Steam with the console enabled (by passing -console as an argument), and then type the following into the Steam console (not your shell):

download_depot 285330 285331

This should download the required files.

Edited by X7123M3-256
1 hour ago, jharakal93 said:

How do I run 

/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steam_osx -console

You type this line into your shell and press enter. Note that this assumes the location of the steam executable - I assume this is where it installs by default (I don't use Mac OS) but if it's located somewhere else you should provide that path instead.

Edited by X7123M3-256
4 hours ago, jharakal93 said:

Yeah I have no idea what shell means.  Like I said, RCT isn't downloaded on Steam because it won't let me.  I do own the game though.

A shell is a program that provides a user interface to the OS ... like bash or zsh. It's also often referred to as a command line or terminal. This will be the program that runs when you start a new terminal window.

I don't use Mac OS, but according to this StackExchange post it can be found at Applications->Utilities->Terminal. This should spawn a window with a shell where you can run the above command.

• Like 2

Thank you.  Okay.  I opened Steam Console version, then download depot, then downloaded steamCMD. What would be the next step?  I'm looking into this unshield thing but no idea where to go from there.  Do I have to do wine?  I hear you don't have to do that anymore.  Then once I do that, I open ORCT and then asks me where to open, where do I go from there?

Edited by jharakal93
  • 2 months later...

It sounds like a few folks are getting stuck on some parts. I've attempted a more streamlined tutorial below, which has worked for me numerous times. I hope you find it helpful!

Here we go:

1. http://openrct2.org/downloads Install OpenRCT2 for Mac.
  2. Unpack the zip file. An application will appear, move into your "Applications" folder. I like to just rename it RCT2.
  3. http://store.steampowered.com/ Install Steam (green button at the top of the page).
  4. After you've installed the app and have created a profile, purchase RCT in the app.
  5. You'll need to open a "Console" tab in Steam that isn't normally there. To do this, search for the "Terminal" application on your Mac. Or, you can easily find it by going to the Applications Folder in a new Finder window- it will be inside the "Utilities" subfolder. Once you have Terminal open, copy and paste: 

Typically you don't need to press enter... once you paste, it should do it's thing- it will run the Steam App again, and this time you'll see "Console" as the fifth tab at the top, after your username. 
  6. In the Console tab, enter: 

When the download is complete, you should get something like this:

Depot download complete : "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS\steamapps\content\app_285330\depot_285331" (2525 files, manifest 6046146891100703072) 

You need the section within the quotation marks. Notice how after "MacOS" the slashes change from "/" to "\".

7. Click over to your desktop, so the top nav bar on your screen says "Finder". Select "Go", then "Go to Folder" from the drop down menu. Paste your file path that you received from Console, while also changing all your "\"s to "/"s. In this case, you would paste: 

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_285330/depot_285331

8. Your finder window should have pulled up a folder called "depot_285331". It's about 1.1 GB and has a bunch of folders in it. Copy the entire folder, and paste it into your Applications folder. I like to rename mine RCT2 to match the app from Step 2. 

9. Run your RCT2 app! The game will ask you where it's supposed to find the files for you to play this game. In the dialog box, direct it to Applications > RCT2 (folder).

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5-4-2018 at 09:32, jennyfahhh said:

It sounds like a few folks are getting stuck on some parts. I've attempted a more streamlined tutorial below, which has worked for me numerous times. I hope you find it helpful!

Here we go:

2. Unpack the zip file. An application will appear, move into your "Applications" folder. I like to just rename it RCT2.
  3. http://store.steampowered.com/ Install Steam (green button at the top of the page).
  4. After you've installed the app and have created a profile, purchase RCT in the app.
  5. You'll need to open a "Console" tab in Steam that isn't normally there. To do this, search for the "Terminal" application on your Mac. Or, you can easily find it by going to the Applications Folder in a new Finder window- it will be inside the "Utilities" subfolder. Once you have Terminal open, copy and paste: 

Typically you don't need to press enter... once you paste, it should do it's thing- it will run the Steam App again, and this time you'll see "Console" as the fifth tab at the top, after your username. 

Depot download complete : "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS\steamapps\content\app_285330\depot_285331" (2525 files, manifest 6046146891100703072) 

You need the section within the quotation marks. Notice how after "MacOS" the slashes change from "/" to "\".

7. Click over to your desktop, so the top nav bar on your screen says "Finder". Select "Go", then "Go to Folder" from the drop down menu. Paste your file path that you received from Console, while also changing all your "\"s to "/"s. In this case, you would paste: 

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_285330/depot_285331

8. Your finder window should have pulled up a folder called "depot_285331". It's about 1.1 GB and has a bunch of folders in it. Copy the entire folder, and paste it into your Applications folder. I like to rename mine RCT2 to match the app from Step 2. 

9. Run your RCT2 app! The game will ask you where it's supposed to find the files for you to play this game. In the dialog box, direct it to Applications > RCT2 (folder).

Jennyfahhh... You are amazing! Thank you so much. This is a lanquage I understand. With your steps I did it. Thank you :-) 

• 1 year later...
On 05/04/2018 at 00:32, jennyfahhh said:

Here we go:

how can I do this if I bought the GOG version of RCT2?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm using the mac version of OpenRCT and it's working just fine, thanks for your great work!

However, I also downloaded the RCT1 files, using the appropriate Game-ID 285310 and Depot ID 285312 (German version) in Steam console.

But OpenRCT won't accept them - everytime I try to set the path for the RCT1 files using OpenRCTs option menu, the prompt "Bitte wählen Sie ein valides RCT1-Verzeichnis" (I'm guessing "please specify a valid RCT1 directory" or similar in english) is displayed. Why won't it accept the RCT1 directory? All the files are there.

EDIT: I now also tried to use the english depot 285311 - it won't accept that, either.

EDIT 2: I managed to do the trick myself - by editing the config.ini in the OpenRCT directory and manually putting the RCT1 path in there. Now, open RCT shows the RCT1 content - still it's rather strange that it wouldn't let me pick the directory using the options menu!

Edited by Stargazer89
Solution found
  • Informative 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 13/03/2016 at 07:59, ziscor said:

To be honest, I guessed it would be tricky as well :P It really isn't. All I did was copy my entire PC Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 folder (installed) onto wherever I wanted, then opened up the latest build of OpenRCT2 I downloaded from here. When it asked for the RCT2 installation, I just directed it to that folder. I thought it would take something more than that, but it really didn't.

You can also just use an installer extraction tools to extract the files from the installer files (older versions ship with a bunch of CAB files and an installer binary, while newer versions ship with the CAB files bundled into the binary.)

Another option is to install in Wine and then copy the files.

These are the same methods that can be used on Linux.

Of course you can always use dual-boot (bootcamp on Mac) or a VM (VirtualPC, VMWare, VirtualBox or QEMU.  Note that I don't recommend using QEMU without a config GUI unless you are an Uber computer genius.  Most IT technicians create the profile on a Workstation GUI, and test it before deploying it to servers, and these are people who eat, drink and breath command prompt.)

• 4 months later...

In the Console tab, enter: 

Depot download complete : "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS\steama

When i do this, i receive a message as : Depot download failed : missing app info for 285330

I also tried to use these numbers one by one, and i get an error message as : download_depot <appid> <depotid> [<target manifestid>] [<delta manifestid>] [<depot flags filter>] : download a single depot

how can i fix this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 05/04/2018 at 00:32, jennyfahhh said:

Here we go:

Holy cow, you are a legend! Thank you so much. Was beyond frustrated trying to figure this out until I found your post. I know it's been 2 years since you posted this but I created an account just to express my appreciation. Seriously appreciate you so much! Hope other people who are looking for a solution find this.

Edited by KD3

I have been through this method a few times and the first time not all the files downloaded. Now i think they have (Steam console says 2525 files) but I'm still getting and error saying "OpenRCT2 quit unexpectedly" immediately every time I try to launch. Can't find anything that fixes and have completed every other step accurately as far as I know. I am using a mid 2012 macbook pro running 10.11.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

jennyfahhh's instructions worked perfectly (thank you!), until I tried to change the screen mode from the game options to full screen. Now any time I start up the game my screen bugs out, wildly flashes a distorted view of my desktop with no way of changing it back.

I've tried removing everything and following the process again, but I still can't load the game properly.

Anyone have any idea what might cause it, or how I might fix it?

• 9 months later...
On 01/02/2021 at 17:46, kce2468 said:

hi,

I've managed to get console open on steam and when I paste in download_depot 285330 285331 all I get is download_depot 285330 285331 but nothing else happens. Has this happened to anyone else? Or does someone know another way around it?

Thanks

Did you press Enter after pasting in `download_depot 285330 285331` ?

On 05/02/2021 at 09:22, Gymnasiast said:

@negativephoto07Can you post a screenshot of the window where you entered it and got a warning?

I put the below into Terminal and it goes through it alright and also opens up steam, but when I then enter download_depot 285330 285331 it says command not found

885600935_ScreenShot2021-02-06at10_13_33AM.thumb.png.73fa0a6d87b5ebcad62abb40381a63db.png