RCT2 For Mac?

I might make a few tutorials on the forums instead. There are so many people with questions on how to install this thing. I think it's partly because a lot of non IT people that used to play RCT2 in the past want to give this a shot as well. They could do with some fine tutorials I think. It might seem simple for us  on how to install OpenRCT2, but for a lot of people installing a program can be very hard and tedious.

ziscor thanks for posting the link :)

• Like 1

To be honest, I guessed it would be tricky as well :P It really isn't. All I did was copy my entire PC Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 folder (installed) onto wherever I wanted, then opened up the latest build of OpenRCT2 I downloaded from here. When it asked for the RCT2 installation, I just directed it to that folder. I thought it would take something more than that, but it really didn't.

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2016 at 09:09, ziscor said:

I just found out about OpenRCT and that it is playable on a mac. So I bought RTC2 tripple pack on steam, followed these instructions but I can't download it. 

There is no download button, the only thing I can do is 'install game' on steam. But that pops up an message: RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Tripple Thrill Pack is no available on your current platform.

Anyone knows how I download my purchased copy of the game? 

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 17.09.56.png

The easiest way this works is you need a Windows running machine first, install the game on it, then copy that installed folder onto your Mac. Then, run OpenRCT2 on the Mac and when the program asks for the game folder, you direct it to the folder you transferred earlier. 

Of course, there are more ways, like running a Virtual Machine of sorts on the Mac and install RCT2 within this VM, and then directing OpenRCT2 to the installation folder. Another way could be by using Wine to install the game, then the same folder redirecting business. 

Since you are wanting to install it through steam, you could check this link: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/2/618460171322627619/ 

This is essentially the same 'Wine' method being used. If you don't know already, Wine is a software that makes a Windows friendly-ecosystem for the program you are wanting to install. Basically, the program will think it is running on Windows, but Wine is actually tricking it that way. I wouldn't recommend running Vanilla RCT2 using Wine, since all programs need some optimization first. Instead, just install the game, then run OpenRCT2 instead. ;)

I hope this helps you!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, janisozaur said:

For every mac user who bought RCT2 on Steam, this is what you want. Very easy to download. It takes some time to download. It's only 1GB but a there are a lot of small files. Ignore the part about Wine and skip to Native and follow the instructions.

After you've done that, open Finder and Go to folder (Shift+Cmd+G) and insert:

/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_285330/

Steam will return a file location with "\" instead of "/", so change the "\" to "/".

Copy the folder "depot_285331" to applications folder, rename it something like RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. 

I also recommend to put the 'windows scale factor' on macs from 1.00 to 2.00 (when playing fullscreen). Click a bit above the up arrow. Because if you try to click on it, you'll somehow click the down arrow and fuck it up. It will getting smaller and smaller. If you fuck it up to many times it will be really, really hard to change it back to normal size because it becomes so small.

I have even set it on 3.00 just to get the RTC feeling. Otherwise your maximum zoom-in level is just still like half the map. I just like to see the people walking around and such.

Thanks for making RTC playable on Mac guys.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 23.32.49.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-18 at 23.33.11.png

Edited by Hedva
Added install instructions for people who were looking for it just like me
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, imlegos said:

We really do have a lot of Pokemon on this site...

That's the second time you've brought up the topic of pokemon profile pictures. I'm settling this here and now.

As of 6:56 pm est 4/19/16 there are exactly 11 accounts on the forums with pokemon as their profile picture.

@BlackHoleDragon (excadrill)

@blah (dialga)

@DJVT7 (growlithe)

@formlesstree4 (jirachi)

@Ivysaur (ivysaur)

@Kyledude252 (lucario)

@LinkedGlint (gardevoir)

@Nurse_Lucario (lucario)

@RicUltima (lucario)

@TopKekleon (multiple pokemon)

@YoloSweggLord (umbreon)

Yes I scoured through the entire member database to get this information. You're welcome.

lolwuttfaidwml.jpg

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Hoping someone can help here: I am trying to download RCT2 from Steam using the method described in the link you posted. However, steam console tells me: "download_depot 285330 285331
Depot download failed : missing app info for 285330"

Have they given it another number? How do I find out? Thanks in advance!!!

On 4/18/2016 at 14:55, janisozaur said:

• 2 weeks later...

so i followed all the steps on the github. it downloaded everything correctly but im having trouble with your steps. When i type that file location into finder it can't find anything. What did you mean by switching the back slashes to forward slashes? Where do i change that?

EDIT: I persevered and found it.  Press go in top bar. Hold alt so library apears in menu and press that. Then app support >steam. In steam i think the folder is called steam bundle or something similar. Then in there is a icon in there that looks like you're gonna open the app but double click it. in there i think it was under contents and in there was the folder. 

then copy that to applications. go into openrct and click on that folder where you copied it. This is where it gets weird and i think was partly just a glitch. When i ( she) did this the window opened but was just black.  She then closed it and re opened and it started right up.

I know this is not perfect but i was doing it for my gf over video chat so i cant replicate it to write this. What i really learned is that i infact will not be going back to mac any time soon. Best of luck.

Edited by djbutcher13
  • 1 month later...

Hi, peeps.

I surely am looking dumb with this reply but anyway. How do I use GoG .exe-installer for OpenRCT2 needs? It clearly is not a folder (jk, was having a PC for quite a while) and I know no wine-less ways to extract it... Any help besides "just go and buy it on Steam you moron" suggestions? Thanks a lot!

2017-02-26_18-16-09.png

UPD: Nevermind. I just extracted it on a nearby PC and brought data folder back to mac.

Edited by idea_generator
  • 2 months later...
On 18/04/2016 at 22:36, Hedva said:

For every mac user who bought RCT2 on Steam, this is what you want. Very easy to download. It takes some time to download. It's only 1GB but a there are a lot of small files. Ignore the part about Wine and skip to Native and follow the instructions.

After you've done that, open Finder and Go to folder (Shift+Cmd+G) and insert:

/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_285330/

Steam will return a file location with "\" instead of "/", so change the "\" to "/".

Copy the folder "depot_285331" to applications folder, rename it something like RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. 

I also recommend to put the 'windows scale factor' on macs from 1.00 to 2.00 (when playing fullscreen). Click a bit above the up arrow. Because if you try to click on it, you'll somehow click the down arrow and fuck it up. It will getting smaller and smaller. If you fuck it up to many times it will be really, really hard to change it back to normal size because it becomes so small.

I have even set it on 3.00 just to get the RTC feeling. Otherwise your maximum zoom-in level is just still like half the map. I just like to see the people walking around and such.

Thanks for making RTC playable on Mac guys.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 23.32.49.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-18 at 23.33.11.png

Hi, I'm really new to this!

I've got a Mac, and installed Steam to buy RCT2, only to find it didn't work - I followed the steps here, and got to the /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_285330/ stage, but then it says to change the "\" to a "/" and I don't understand where I do that. All I get once I enter that instruction into Finder is this:590dce77118c7_ScreenShot2017-05-06at14_23_14.png.7d6043d422e7a300413010dcab0d308a.png

What do I do? Please help!

EDIT: Solved it!

Edited by tom_tom_64

So I am trying to do this off of steam as well and when I go to put this "/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_285330/" into finder it is not showing anything. Should I go ahead and retry the first steps? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Same for me, nothing showed up when I tried to search "/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_285330/" in finder.

Also, I'm not sure how to launch Steam with console enabled...would really appreciate the help! Thank you!!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You mean to tell me there are over 40k views on this thread, and we still do not have anyone that can do a full lay out of how to make this work?  Tom_Tom seems to have it, but yet I see many people, including myself, that does not have a popup showing where we need to change a backslash to a forward slash. No one else seems to know the answer either.  The original reddit that was posted does not help me because, while I do have RCT2 downloaded through steam, I cannot "Place the bought/demo RCT2 game files folder in your applications folder" because I have no idea where the game files are.

Is there ANYONE that can give a step-by-step tutorial, including how to change the slashes?  Maybe show us where we can find the original game files from Steam and how to move them to the applications folder?  I appreciate the help.

19 hours ago, jharakal93 said:

I have no idea where the game files are.

Search your filesystem for "g1.dat". This should be contained in a directory called "Data", and the directory that contains that (usually called "RollerCoaster Tycoon 2" is the one you want to select. If g1.dat doesn't exist anywhere, then you need to install the vanilla game first. Instructions on how to obtain the game files on Mac are available here.

2 hours ago, X7123M3-256 said:

Search your filesystem for "g1.dat". This should be contained in a directory called "Data", and the directory that contains that (usually called "RollerCoaster Tycoon 2" is the one you want to select. If g1.dat doesn't exist anywhere, then you need to install the vanilla game first. Instructions on how to obtain the game files on Mac are available here.

I have the game purchased through steam.  Steam cannot download the game because im on the wrong OS.  So where do I go from here?  Even though I bought the game but can't download it, I need to download it through another way?